Is Salmon Roe ok for dogs?

I have a question: I was given some fresh caught Salmon and some of them were gravid. So, I have a bucket of roe that looks very nice but I have no idea what to do with it. The dogs really seem interested in eating it, but as I live in Washington I was wondering if it was ok to give as is or if I needed to prepare it somehow.

The dogs eat all manner of raw things, and roe is usually served raw from what I understand. Is it ok to give it raw do you think, and if not how should I prepare it. It seems like a huge tragedy to waste such a nice amount of nutritious goodies. I guess in Japan it's called Ikura or Sujiko and in the states it's called Red Caviar. Thanks for any feedback.

(this website is really dumb, but it demonstrates that somewhere some company is actually selling raw caviar for pets to eat, at least in Hollywood)
http://www.beverlyhillscaviar.com/gourmetpetfood/luxuryfoodforpets/

Comments

• edited November -1
    Maybe freeze it for a few days first to kill off any potential harmful bacteria?

Sorry I'm not much help! just what I would do haha ~
  • edited November -1
    Did a search on raw salmon and came across this webpage.

It urges caution about feeding raw salmon to dogs:

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/must_cook_salmon_for_dogs.htm
  • edited November -1
    I was aware of the risk of salmon poisoning, but I don't know if that would be a risk given that these are the eggs and not the flesh. I certainly don't want to tempt fate however. I wonder if they can be gently boiled, or how I would even do it? Maybe boil inside a bag?
  • edited November -1
    http://www.homebrewchef.com/CuringSalmonRoe.html

Found that site, it looks like you can just cook it in the skein (learning new stuff every day!) if you still have them in there, or I suppose substitute a thin bag. The curing is obviously the salt, which you could remove or decrease in amount and maybe increase the temp of the water (unless they meant 100C which would be boiling, which would be high enough...)

Otherwise, I've only seen people recommending the raw version, like sushi. Maybe mix it with some rice and a little wasabi and call it a meal :)
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Nicole! The skeins (I learned a new word just now) broke open (eww) so I will use a boiling bag. I think I will do the gentle boiling method with some seaweed and rice, amybe they will share it with me. Thanks for the link and suggestions everyone!
  • edited November -1
    Maybe you could "steam" them on a bed of rice for several minutes rather than doing a boiling bag...
  • edited October 2009
    Hmmm...I just asked this of our breeder a few weeks ago. He feeds raw, and thought that it was fine as long as we didn't give her too much. I actually bought some from a fishmonger here (I love roe, though salmon less than something like flying fish roe or smelt or cod) which was meant for human consumption and I've been giving Violet a little bit every night and have not had any problems. But when I say a little I mean maybe 10-12 eggs (the tip of a teaspoon). She loves it and has been fine thus far, if that's helpful (I just fed it to her raw). It's actually been a great training tool since she's not too food motivated generally but gets a little more motivated for salmon roe.
  • edited November -1
    send it to me!