Dalmatian Backcross Project

edited June 2010 in Other Breeds
Thought this was an interesting subject, felt it worth sharing with the forum...My interest in this was brought on by an article in Whole Dog Journal.

To Sum it up, the dalmatian breed has suffered a genetic "defect" that causes abnormal Uric Acid levels, causing stones and blockages to form in the bladder. In the early 70's, Dr. Bob Schiable, a geneticist and respected Dalmatian breeder, tried to eliminate this genetic disease but crossing an AKC Dalmatian with an AKC Champion Pointer. Through select breeding with this cross to purebred Dalmatians, he was able to create Dalmatian looking (99.8% same DNA to purebred Dalmatians) pups that were not carriers for this disease.

Much debate in the Dalmatian fancier community was create as to the acceptance of this backcross, and about 60% of the Dalmatian fanciers were against registering these "mutts" with the AKC.

For further information about this debate, check out these links:
http://www.showdays.info/LUA.php
http://www.luadalmatians.com/
http://www.luadalmatians.com/schaible.pdf

Thought it was very interesting and informative, and would like to hear any thoughts about this subject, especially thoughts about having a similar predicament with NK. Do you feel that it would be alright to do a similar backcross breeding if it meant eliminating a major genetic disease, or is it more important to keep the "purity" of the breed even if it means further dooming the breed with this genetic "defect"?

Comments

• edited November -1
    More info from the Dalmatian Club of America website:

http://www.thedca.org/backcrosslua.html

The Dalmatian Heritage Project

http://www.dalmatianheritage.com/index.htm

I had a Dalmatian male who developed uric acid stones that actually blocked the urethra. He went to lift a leg to urinate and couldn't. The blockage had to be cleared out. From then on he was on meds. This was actually a life-threatening situation.
  • edited November -1
    This is what is wrong with traditional breeds/breeding/breeders. God forbid anyone change tradition for the sake of the animals' health. What we want is blueblood, purebred mutants! If I were interested in Dalmatians, I would absolutely look for a mutt or for a backcross.
  • edited November -1
    I have to agree with Kevin. The fact that someone went to such lengths to help a breed and strive to eliminate a life threatening condition and these "purists" are resisting because two tenths of a percent of the dog is not dalmation is absurd.

Since ALL modern breeds are a by product of out crossing with maybe the exceptions of CO's and CAO's (maybe) how can they be against this?
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    It'll be alright for the Japanese organizations to initiate and do it for the NK breeds, but it shouldn't be done by those outside of Japan.
  • edited November -1
    Well isn't a "purebred" by definition just 5 generations back? Meaning in 10 years (if you end up breeding the females at 2 years old) you get your purebred back. With how long the dalmatians have been suffering, 10 years is a very short time.
  • edited November -1
    I found this article in WDJ fascinating as well....so I'm delighted to see this thread.

In terms of the Dals, I was incensed that US Dal breeders were against this when it really helped the breed. To me, good breeding is about betterment of the breed. This is an extreme example--having to outcross the dogs to get better health--but it also seems to me that if you really love dogs, and you can keep what makes the breed distinct but give them better health, then you should go with that. the fact is, these are still Dalmations (look at the DNA) but healthier!

A huge part of me felt like it was another example of the AKC lagging behind what the rest of the world already accepts (yes, I'm still pissed that the AKC has not split the Akitas, and I'm also not happy that they will not restructure the groups, getting rid of "non sporting" and adding a northern spitz group).

But I also thought....I'm so against crossbreeds....well, not entirely....I'm against cross breeds that are sold as if they are pure breds...so I felt a bit hypocritical. And perhaps I am.

But mostly, it seems to me that people that really love dogs will not let them suffer from health defects if there is a way to avoid it, and with the Dals, it is clear that there is, and doing so thus IMPROVES the breed....
  • edited November -1
    I agree with the posts before...
    Normally I am absoluteley against cross-breeding, because at least in Germany animal shelters are filled with mixes. Purebreds have a higher chance of staying in the home they get to as puppies, so crossbreeding to me is like producing new shelter-inhabitants.
    BUT the purpose of (non cross-)breeding should be to keep breeds alive AND healthy. Breeding with ill dogs is like raping the breed! You doom all the puppies you produce to become seriously ill and suffering! So to keep the Dalmatians as a breed alive it is absolutely necessary to do this kind of cross-breeding.
    And yes, of course I would have the same opinion if it was for the NK. But I would prefer NK-breeders to put all their efforts into not letting it get that far. ;)
  • edited November -1
    Much debate in the Dalmatian fancier community was create as to the acceptance of this backcross, and about 60% of the Dalmatian fanciers were against registering these "mutts" with the AKC.

^^^ I'm sure the reaction from the 60% had more to do with concern over the marketability of the kennel and breed after this guy's Dalmatians are accepted and healthy (read as the 60% will loose puppy sales), and less to do with whether or not they should be considered "purebred".

----

I'm for anything that improves the health of a breed but still keep the breed relatively close to the standard, even if that means removing some of their working ability (which is something you know I am a stickler for).

----
  • edited November -1
    Very interesting article. It all sounds great! I'd way rather have a healthy Dalmatian than an AKC-registered Dalmatian.

This is the actual process of making a breed healthy by outcrossing, rather than just crossing two random breeds and claiming there are benefits, like those designer doodle backyard breeders.