My friend's Akita bit by rattlesnake, she raising money selling her art

edited June 2013 in General
My friend's AA Crimson was bit by a rattlesnake this morning. He was rushed to the vet and received treatment, expected to pull through. He will receive all necessary care and she'll do whatever it takes to see to that. It is however a financial burden for her, so she has put up a page asking for donations, orders, commissions, etc. She is a very talented artist and her commissions usually have a long wait list. She is also selling prints and t-shirts with her artwork. She does incredible feather painting, too! Please check it out. Crimson is a great boy and in a great home.

http://windwolf.com/WWCrimsonDP.htm

Comments

• edited July 2013
    That sucks! Does she live near ABQ? I saw that she lived in NM, and I wondered, because when Leo was bit by the rattle snake, we didn't have to take him to the e-vet because it was during the day and a closer vet was open, but I'd heard that if we took him to the e-vet they would have charged us around $2,000. (We paid $1200).

Anyway, good thoughts for her dog, and I'm going to order something....I know my mom would love her wolf stuff, and I like the raven and owls.....

eta: wow, she lives in the same town I do, according to her etsy page!
  • Ahh, I didn't know you were in Cedar Crest! I could have stopped to visit last time I went through there, lol.
  • Yes! And if you're out here again, let me know and we can meet up! :)
  • Nice art! I ordered a couple pendants from Etsy; it sounded like even those purchases would help Crimson.
  • Yep, normal orders help too! Crimson went home yesterday, and Sandra appreciates all the help.
  • Good news!
  • Yes, good news! I haven't ordered yet, but am planning on ordering some tshirts!
  • edited July 2013
    UPDATE:
    Crimson is doing much better and on the road to recovery. When I got him home Tuesday morn, he was so happy to be home and was quite confused that he could't just jump into his dog routine. However through the day, he kept regurgitating with only eating back a third of it so basically, his meds, hydration, and nutrition were all being compromised. That night was super rough for both of us and he started running a fever early in the morn... He also started to feel dehydrated. I decided on Weds morn to get an appointment with our local vet which I needed to do anyways. They couldn't get us in till that eve... I called the ER and they said to stop giving him anything. I didn't feel I should and continued to give him small meals, small amounts of water to keep him with something till I got in. That afternoon I started to mix his food with plain cooked white rice even though I'm against it. He is grain free and has issues with it from my experiences with him as a puppy so even though it was recommended to help sick tummies I didn't want to give it to him because of this issue. But I was desperate and tried it and he kept the food and water down 85% better! When we got to the vet, he was indeed dehydrated and they gave him fluids which made him feel like himself again and with the rice he is now eating his full meals with no issues! Yay for small successes!

We won't be completely out of the woods until we see how his wounds heal is what the vet told me. The one on his lip is the worst one but it is not oozing so that is a good sign. Snake venom does dissolve flesh but he is also a dog and they regenerate better then humans. This pic is us chillin after breakfast and his pill routine this morning. I wanted to show the bite lay out. #1 is below the bottom fang on the lip and is not scabbed but looks good. #2 is the one I'm watching. It is the worst one and #1 and #2 may be the same strike. #3 is a partial strike with two distinct marks that show the fang distance of about 1.25 inches apart.. I figure about a medium to large sized Rattler. #4 looks like a scab that I was poking at today and it does bother him so this may be a separate strike. Because of his thick lose Akita skin it may not have gotten a good strike there.

So many thousands of thank yous to all the help and support we have received this week! Without you I am not sure what we would have done... We got the main ER bill covered but we are still taking donations to help with incidentals and vet visits till he is healed. Orders are most welcome since this is how I make a living of course! Here's the link for donations and the web site page if you don't have it and please feel free to share as you like... http://windwolf.com/WWCrimsonDP.htm