Puppy Playdate Got Postponed (again)

Comments

• edited November -1
    Thanx for sharing!!! They are both so precious.
  • edited November -1
    Looks like you guys had a great time! *smiles*
  • edited November -1
    Miko was just way dirtier. Apparently Mura likes to climb in the shower with her papa. Miko is not nearly as fond of water. I gave her a bath today and a good combing and now she and Mura are the same color.

Actually when they met I felt bad, Mura was much bigger and had a softer coat. At least I know the coat was just a bath issue.

Katja had told me that Miko was the most submissive puppy in the litter, so I would feel safe assuming she got less of her mothers milk which could likely lead to her being smaller. Smaller would actually be good. It would help Piglet and Miko understand who is boss.

Right now Miko just tries to suck face with Piglet constantly. Piglet doesn't always share the mood. But Miko is the kissing Bandit.
  • edited November -1
    Ah, they are so cute and they really do look alike (except for the slight difference in size). I am sure that they had fun!
  • edited November -1
    Tenji is small too. At 36 pounds we think he is the perfect size for us. He fits perfectly in the "big" chair with me when I am reading or watching TV.

Your pictures are great. It looks like they had a good old time.
  • edited November -1
    Looks like they had a blast - so cute! The pawing at the face pic is such a Shika move... lol!

----
  • edited November -1
    As Dorothy said, not all Shikoku are that big. Jen and Tommy said that Sora is only 27 lbs at 9 mos, her full brother Kuma is 33-34 lbs (and Kiba is probably the same as they were right on the same path earlier). So I am sure that Miko will be just right when done! :-)
  • edited November -1
    Just came back from the vet. After cleaning more puke out of my car (God I hope she out grows car sickness for both our sake), she got her check up. The vet says she looks great. She covered her and the vet tech in kisses. And she is 15lbs.

Apparently Mura was 16lbs 2 weeks ago.

I think Mura is just going to be on the big side and Miko on the small side. I am okay with that.
  • edited November -1
    Great action shots! It looks like everyone had a good time.
  • edited November -1
    Jess, Tenji used to get car sick all of time when he was younger. We think that it was related to his long trip here from B.C. and then the drive home from LAX. (he came here at 9 weeks old). I would bring him in the car with me whenever I went anywhere and he finally overcame his car sickness. It took me about 3-4 months. Today he will be comfortable sitting up front with me in my car but he still shakes when he is in Paul's car. He hasn't thrown up in a very long time.
  • edited November -1
    Kuma went thru a stage of car sickness too - actually at about the age that Miko is now. It didn't matter whether it was a 10 min ride or 30 minutes, at some point he would get sick for about 2 mos. Now he is fine. He worried a bit during that time in the car as I don't think that he liked getting sick, but now he loves car rides.
  • edited November -1
    Ahi and Loa went through a car sickness stage too. Ahi's last much longer than Loa's, I think Ahi got sick on car rides till she was 6 months or so.

I have a theory for the car sickness thing in our dogs, the more dominant and/or the more of a "control freak" they are the more riding in the car will make them sick. Loa is not very dominant or a control freak and she only had a very short car sickness stage - where as Ahi [the ultimate control freak] had it for a very long time.

Same rules apply to our Akita and Kai.

----
  • edited November -1
    So maybe the Shikoku description should include "will get car sick as a puppy" LOL.
  • edited November -1
    Looks like they had a blast! Thanks for the pics. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Brad: From Wikipedia.

Motion sickness or kinetosis is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement. Depending on the cause it can also be referred to as seasickness, carsickness, simulation sickness, airsickness, or space sickness.[1]

Dizziness, fatigue, and nausea are the most common symptoms of motion sickness.[2] Sopite syndrome is also a side effect of motion sickness. In fact, nausea in Greek means seasickness (naus means ship).[3][4] If the motion causing nausea is not resolved, the sufferer will frequently vomit. Unlike ordinary sickness, vomiting in motion sickness tends not to relieve the nausea.[1]
  • edited November -1
    Yet again the forum relieves my concerns.

Having such a rare dog, without you guys I would never know what is "Normal"
  • edited November -1
    You could try feeding Miko some gingersnaps before the car ride. Ginger is a natural anti-nausea medication.

Also "Vetibular" and "Vestibulochlear" are some of my favorite words from my A&P class.
  • edited November -1
    Ooooh, do tell us the difference between the two Brandon!
  • edited November -1
    Well I spelt it wrong, which I do a lot, it's 'Vestibulocochlear"

Vestibulocochlear is one of the 12 cranial nerves (8 of 12). It sends impulses for sound and balance.

Vestibualr describes the whole balance system.
  • edited November -1
    Oh wow, that's way cooler than I had imagined. Thanks!

(I won't tell, but you mispelled "Vestibualr" in the second post.)
  • edited November -1
    No, Dave. He mistyped. There a difference, LOL.
  • edited November -1
    Spelling is not at the top of my skills list.
  • edited June 2008
    I tried to imagine a joke with Tori in it, but I couldn't. :-P

Edit: On another note, has the forum migrated to Italy? Every word is leaning...
  • edited June 2008
    That would be my fault, I forgot to close the italics tag. I think its kinda funny though so I'm gonna leave it...welcome to Italy!
  • edited November -1
    God if only it were that easy to go to Italy...
  • edited November -1
    Italy - lol!

btw - Gingersnaps never worked for Ahi, we just ended up with Gingersnap puke in our car. :o\

----
  • edited November -1
    Sora still gets carsick if she is standing in the car - if she lays down she's fine. She does randomly vomit though - at home, on a walk. A couple times a week maybe, usually on an empty stomach. It's foamy yellow...she acts fine otherwise, eating/drinking/playing/etc. We feed her once a day now, but she did it when we fed her 2x a day also. Any ideas?
  • edited November -1
    Jen, Sora's vomiting is interesting in that Tenji occasionally vomits a foamy yellow substance but we thought that it was from he licking himself. He is an intact male.
    Now I wonder what it is????
  • edited November -1
    All my dogs get it when they have been eating grass.
  • edited November -1
    Ahh haa...