Round 3 For Ahi :o(

edited June 2008 in General
Ahi is back in surgery, apearently something cracked. i will update you all when i know more.

Comments

• edited November -1
    That's a huge bummer. Poor Ahi. I hope you guys are holding up.
  • edited November -1
    Oh no! I hate to hear this - sending good vibes your way.
  • edited November -1
    Geez, she can't catch a break! Well, good luck Ahi.
  • edited November -1
    oh no. im so sorry i hope it turns out ok. ill be thinking of ahi.
  • edited November -1
    She's got support all over the globe!!

Pull through, Ahi - poor girl!
  • edited November -1
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope Ahi recovers well and quickly from this round.
  • edited November -1
    Oh no! What happened? Our thoughts are with you. keep us posted when you can.
  • edited November -1
    I'm so sorry, I hope all is well with her! Good luck, we're all praying for her!~
  • edited November -1
    Bummer....but here are some positive vibes that all goes well and she can heal normally the next time.
  • edited November -1
    Man that stinks....I sure glad you got her back in there though and did not wait.
    Poor girl I hope it does not take too much of a toll on her personality and tolerance.
    Doggies get depressed too just like humans in the hospital or long treatment regimes.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    Snf
  • edited November -1
    That poor girl. Well that probably explains her grumpiness lately. It is so good that you brought her back and that they found out what the problem is related to. I have my fingers crossed and Tenji is crossing his paws. Wishing you all the BEST.
  • edited November -1
    Sending speedy recovery wishes to that special girl.
  • edited November -1
    Crap, that sucks!
    I wish her a fast recovery from this one.
  • edited November -1
    Poor Ahi. We're keeping our paws crossed for her.

Koshi & Harlow
  • edited November -1
    I'm so sorry that she and you and Jen have to go through this again. If anyone can pull her through this its you and Jen, I'm sure. Keep your chin up!
  • edited November -1
    I am so sorry to hear this. Please if there is anything Ican do (I know I am far but I am resourceful) even if it is sending you a batch of brownies, just ask.
  • edited November -1
    I'm so sorry--- sending lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery to Ahi, and your whole family!
  • edited November -1
    Well, we are back after 8 hours of driving and 6 hours of waiting for the surgery to start & end - we are exhausted and kinda depressed.

Ahi is fine, she made it through this surgery like the rest of them - its kinda routine to her now, which is really heart breaking. She is a trooper tho and she still loves that place... I dunno why. I kinda feel like we are butchering her. :o(

The surgeon said that the cap had split and the part that the tendons are attached to was the part that had cracked off. So she has another pin in her knee holding the piece that split off in place. We will have to keep her VERY chill for a month so that this little piece can start to bond with the bone and set itself in place for good.

From the doctors response to the xrays, I get the sinking suspension he knew there could be an issue when he did the 2nd surgery. I think he was hoping the original pin would just hold the cap in place long enough for it to all bond before anything cracked. I say this because he looked at the xray for maybe 5 seconds before he was ready to do surgery to fix it, and he mentioned he had thought about Ahi several times at like 2 AM... so, it seems he was concerned anyway.

He did this surgery no charge tho, so that was nice.

Something pretty crappy happened this time around, not catastrophically bad but still kinda shitty. The stupid receptionist didn't listen to us and called our home phone when Ahi got out of surgery and not my cell! They had told us that they would not be able to get her into surgery till very last, like around 5:30pm, so Jen and I were out and about doing stuff [buying dog food & etc.] for hours... meanwhile Ahi got out at freaking 3:30! So this stupid lady was calling us for 2 hours at our house before she tried my cell! So we missed Ahi's recovery... and that just really upsets us. we really wanted to be there when she woke up. :o( So she woke up all by herself and didn't see us for two hours! Jen and I were freaking livid and REALLY upset!

Anyway, I'm going to bed... maybe things will be better tomorrow.

----
  • edited November -1
    Man, that sucks. I know how you feeling. All fingers and paws crossed.
  • edited November -1
    Brad, You know my thoughts are with you guys. I understand all of what you are going through. Remember our story about Jack? Even though she's been through a lot, be thankful you weren't still here in ATL and ended up going to a certain university (I'll drive out of state before I ever subject another animal to that horrible place).
    We're rooting for you Ahi! Please get well soon little one. There's still so much chaos for you to cause.
  • edited November -1
    I'm thankful you guys got her in to see the vet and maybe now she'll be on the road to recovery.
  • edited November -1
    Sounds like a really rough day Brad. I'd be prett upset too if the reservationist was calling the wrong number. Not that she was being malicious or anything, but why wouldn't she try all of the numbers listed instead of the same one over and over again.

It is nice that the surgery was no charge, but that is the way it should be, obviously he knew the error was his.

You aren't butchering her, once she makes it past this rough patch, her life will be much more enjoyable for a longer time because her knees shouldn't be giving her trouble.
  • edited November -1
    I second all above comments! You guys are making her quality of life so much better - not butchering it!! The awful fact is that sometimes we have to put our faith and trust into others and it falls through, whether it be a surgeon not telling you everything or a receptionist calling the wrong number at the worst possible time. If only we weren't all uber-skilled to do it right the first time ourselves!

But all this happened for a reason, and I bet that reason is to reinforce the strength of your pack and your bond with Ahi in particular.

Sending strong, speedy recovery vibes your way!!
  • edited November -1
    Well, its good news that the third surgery went well. And its good that you weren't charged for it ... you shouldn't have been. I think its pretty common for surgeons to do followups for free if they weren't planning on doing the second surgery from the start. I don't know if he screwed up or not, but I wouldn't take the fact that he didn't charge you as an indicator of blame. Anyway, I digress.

She is really really lucky to have you guys. I know you are stressed and depressed and exhausted right now, but think, in the long run, what you have done for her quality of life. A little emotional angst for a few months right now pales in comparison to the happiness and comfort she'll have for years as a result of your efforts. Again, keep you chin up!

P.S. How'd Hilo's cleaning go?
  • edited November -1
    *huggies to Ahi, you and Jen*

You guys will all get through this fine :) That was a stupid receptionist, if one doesn't pick up you try the other, not wait 2 hours to do it. Lazy butt. I'm glad it was all free though. Give it a couple months and Ahi will be like it never happened :)
  • edited November -1
    What a day! Here's to hoping that you'll be done with it this time.
  • edited November -1
    I am glad to hear that Ahi is home and on her way to a complete recovery. Your biggest obstacle now will be keeping her in the crate and quiet for a month. Yikes.... But once that is accomplished she will be back to her old self and harrassing the rest of the pack, once again. You and Jen need to get some down time. Do you guys take turns tending to the dogs while the other sleeps?
  • edited November -1
    Poor Ahi. I'm sure she's so glad to be back at home. I don't think dogs have the psychological problems of dealing with surgeries the way humans do. Like you said, Ahi is a trooper and will get through this. I know how hard it must be for you and Jen to watch all this. Hang in there. You are making Ahi's life better.
  • edited November -1
    Thanx for the kind words guys! Looking back at my post you could tell I was pretty sleep deprived and stressed... lol. I got some sleep and I am feeling a bit better.

Ahi is behaving more like she did after the first surgery, so I think that is a good sign. After the second one she was so normal and it just didn't feel right at all. So we will see.

----

We have a very difficult dog situation going on right now, so we are busy and kinda overwhelmed... that is why my forum participation has been limited.

Basically, Ahi is stuck in her crate, Kona is starting to show some dominance that we are working to correct, Lani is in heat, and Hilo has become VERY reactive because of this. Hilo generally doesn't care about other [unknown] dogs, he just checks them out and moves on but now that Lani is in heat he is in ultra protection mode and barking at EVERYTHING... [he usually never barks] so that made the vet trip very unpleasant since we had to take Lani with.

So we have all the dogs separated and gated, which is not a big deal, but when you start to factor in Ahi and Kona's maturing attitude it complicates things.

Also Hilo gets neutered next week... so we will have to separate him during recovery. lol! Crazy!

Can't really give us any sympathy tho since this is all part of the deal.

----
  • edited November -1
    Lol you still get my sympathy sir :) You guys have your hands full more than normal. Or maybe in your household, this is normal from now on :/

Good luck Hilo! Say bye to your boy parts!