Crazy story

edited August 2008 in General
I had to share this with everyone in the forum its kind of a crazy story. Last night around 8:30 pm I was walking Koda around the neighborhood and I live in whats considered the city so we do not see many wild animals running around. All of a sudden I turned and saw an animal running at Koda and me, it startled me and I thought it was going to attack Koda so I picked him up. After a second I realized the animal running at us was a fox and he was looking at Koda but kept a distance from us of about 10 ft. I set Koda down and walked toward the fox he looked at Koda as if he was one of his own it was the wildest thing because its almost like he was confused as to why Koda was on a leash. The funny thing about it is that people always comment on how Koda looks like a fox. So anyways we walked toward the fox and he didnt run like I thought he would he stood his ground staring and Koda and of course Koda was trying to get to him thinking he was another dog and he wanted to play. I got about 5 ft from this fox and I just thought it was amazing how he thought Koda was another fox. I got video of it on my phone but I dont know how to get the video from my phone to my computer Im working on it. I did hopwever get a couple crappy pictures you can kind of see the fox sittibg down looking right at me. It is bad quality because my camer phone does not have a flash and it was getting dark.

Comments

• edited November -1
    here are 2 more sorry for the bad quality.
  • edited November -1
    someone spooked the fox when I took this one
  • edited November -1
    haha that is kinda wacky :P
  • edited November -1
    wow that is really crazy.
  • edited November -1
    omg! was it sick or acting weird? usually foxes are A LOT more aloof!
  • edited November -1
    no not sick at all looked beautiful and healthy really nice looking fox wish I would have gotten better pictures the tail on that fox was sweet looking.
  • edited November -1
    We actually had a similar experience last summer. We were on a walk with Moto and out of no where a fox walked up and just stared at us. He looked at Moto like "what are you doing with them?" and I am convinced Moto at that point said "Dude, you should come hang with us, they are nice and the food is really yummy!"

I think shibas confuse foxes.
  • edited November -1
    LOL they must. just make sure they aren't rabid
  • edited November -1
    I've run into a fox while walking Nemo a couple of times. Most of the time he runs away as fast as possible, but one time he kind of stalked us, he looked just like Nemo or any other red shiba stalking another dog at the park. He didn't want to attack, he was just trying to check things out, very playful. However he never got closer than 40 feet.

It's a pretty cool experience to have.
  • edited November -1
    That's pretty sweet. It's tail does look really cool. A lot longer than I expected.
  • edited November -1
    That's a cool surprise!
    Did the fox smell? I've seen a documentary rating foxes as some of the world's smelliest animals.
  • edited November -1
    wow - that's amazing! The fox looked really cute too. :o)

----
  • edited November -1
    Aww I love foxes. Such a cute scenario though.
  • edited November -1
    Foxes are smelly?
  • edited November -1
    OMG! Fox. I want one D:~
  • edited November -1
    That's so cool!!! I've seen a fox out in the wild before, but I never noticed they smelled....although, I was on a horse 'farm' when I saw them. You can imagine the smells a horse 'farm' can hide!
  • edited November -1
    That's amazing considering that foxes tend to avoid humans like the plague. Hopefully you'll get the videos as well, I'd love to see it.
  • edited November -1
    yea he didnt have an odor that I remember so I wouldnt say he smelled or anything. Once I get my phone linked to my email I will post the video for you guys.
  • edited November -1
    wow a fox!! He got beautiful tail. Nice story and encounter.
  • edited November -1
    Remember to keep your young pup away from any wild animals or carriers of potential diseases.
    Rabies vaccines are not administered to canines until 16 weeks of age and it takes approx. another two weeks for immunity to develop after vaccination.

Therefore you must be cautious in reducing the risks.

Yep fox can be curious about Shibas but I would not let one get close enough to get snappy/snarky with a dog.

Snf
  • edited November -1
    Hey static thanks for being a debbie downer.
  • edited November -1
    OK LMAO! I think we all are well aware of potential problems with wild animals. I think hence forth bud picking his dog up to protect...? Next time I see a fox I am going to make sure Niko finds out if it will snap at her...
    That is an awesome story and good job not sacrificing the shiba to the fox!!
    ; )
  • edited November -1
    lol thanks ya I do my best.
  • edited November -1
    Hey I am just pointing out the reality…..call it what you will.

In skimming quickly I did missed the comment about buster bud picking up his dog.

But, if calling people names is what this is forum all about….have fun…..Seems to me that is rather mean and counter productive. I guess enjoyable for some but probably not such a great way to help others.

MON – Not to get contentious….You can’t make the assumption that everyone is aware of anything in regard to pets or wild animals. I take it you know everyone’s level of knowledge and abilities?
  • edited November -1
    I think you must have skimmed again...because I dont see any name calling...
    hmmmm...?
    Who is Mon?
    I also read the whole post which shows the knowledge portrayed by Bud. And yes I do make the assumption that people have a BASE knowledge about pets and wild animals.
    : )
  • edited November -1
    I agree sorry if I offended anyone I was just joking around. If I did I apologize
  • edited November -1
    Cool experience! Foxes are so cute. I once read an article about a Russian experiment to domesticate foxes where they just kept breeding the tamest ones until they were as friendly and submissive as dogs. Now I would like to know - why aren't these Russian fox pets available to me? I want one!
  • edited November -1
    Happy Friday….I get to leave early and have a comp day coming to me since I am on the run next week..

Anyway, a friend of mine actually has a few foxes that were saved from the fate of fur traders (she has a permit to retain wildlife). They are very curious creatures. She has them in a run area with a dog house and the little guys tipped it right over out of curiosity and a need to manipulate their environment via tunneling, and extensive digging. If not altered, foxes have a very strong stinky odor and tend to territory mark all around their enclosure. Even though they have been handled they can get a little demanding, especially at dinner time and they will charge the dogs, if they don’t want them near their territory. Usually the wait until the dogs are pretty darn close and do a frontal shang hi and then dash off or circle back around. They are not pets and retain their natural tendencies. But I think they really seem to like to tease the dogs. Similar to ferrets.

Here’s some info about different things about foxes:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/11/051123074810.htm
    www.floridalupine.org/publications/PDF/trut-fox-study.pdf

PS: Humm...I’d post a picture but I have not really figured out how to do that directly since I don’t have any accounts in photo bucket etc. I don’t see an image upload feature on the forum. : (

Snf
  • edited November -1
    SnF
    You can attach a picture file (it's below the comments field), by using the browse button. As long as it is smaller than 1Mb, it'll load.
  • edited November -1
    Oh duh!! I guess I was rushing as usual....

LJ -Thanks for the tip : P