Shiba or Nihonken Friendly Cars

edited June 2009 in General
We have a 08 Honda Civic and a 04 Nissan Sentra. Both of them do a pretty good job of moving Katsu and her stuff around. The Sentra feels alot smaller than the Civic, and Katsu seems to like riding in the Civic better. I definitely want more room in the future, and I'm looking into getting rid of the Nissan in favor of a wagon like the Hyundai Elantra Touring or Toyota Matrix or a small SUV like the RAV4, CR-V, new Tucson, or Equinox.

What kind of cars do you guys have to move your dogs around town? Are they dog friendly? What do you like and dislike about them? If you could buy another car with your dogs in mind, what would it be?

Comments

• edited November -1
    I drive a Volvo S40 AWD. It is small, but it has the sport-tech fabric which is great (especially if you have a shikoku who can at times get car sick). When we do longer drives we take Jasons car. He has a Subaru Forrester. That car rules. It gets 30 MPG highway, we can easily and comfortably fit the whole fam (furry and not so furry) and the seats fold in all sorts of great configurations.
    If I had to buy another car with my pups as the primary consideration it would probably be a Forrester or an Outback. If only they drove like my Volvo.....
  • edited November -1
    We have a Yaris, and we'll probably buy another Yaris :) We go camping with it and we bring Akira and he has enough space to walk around the back seat. However we're only two people.
  • edited November -1
    I'll have to check out the Subies.
  • edited November -1
    I love my 04 Forester as a dog car for all the reasons Jess stated, plus that I can take it slippery, snowy, rutted and muddy places in all weather to get the dogs out to the isolated trails Team Reacto requires, and still get ourselves out again. I am glad I got the base model with all the rugged tupperware on the lower panels, rather than the spendy trim level with painted lower panels. A lot of other AWD cars/wagons have a lower ground clearance than mine, and bottoming out on the road to the woods is alarming. I think the Forester balances the MPG/AWD scale perfectly.

I once read a website that reviews Dog Cars...it's www.dogcars.com
  • edited June 2009
    I actually got the 2006 Toyota Tacoma specifically for the animals (prior to that I had a 2004 Honda Accord). It seems very cat & dog friendly -smiles-. I like it a lot! It's pretty durable, high off the ground and easy to maintain. I got it brand new in October of 2005 and have put 93,700+ miles on it. I've had to change the breaks a few times and get new tires but I do drive it ALOT and sometimes over rough terrain. It should last me awhile.

The front passenager seat can turn into a table. The back seats fold down, great to put smaller crates on top without damaging the actual seats. And the backseat compartments are excellent for storage (as well as underneath the seats Truck Steering

Lynx loves it

Passenager Seat

Great place to hang out

It turns into a table (possiblity for yet another crate if necessary)!

It's a kit's playground

Back Seats

Excellent for napping after a long day (w/sheet cover)

This is how it normally looks

Fold-down back seats

I guess I could have left both sides down for a photo, but for some reason...I decided to do them individually. It still gives a pretty good idea though.

For smaller crates (200 and under w/o damage), can fit 2 medium crates (200); even more for the smaller crates

Truck Bed
    Rear travel for older pups, adult canines and equipment: Fits up to 4 large crates (400) or 2 extra-large crates (500) & 2 large crates (400)

I have it set up for 2 dogs. I add the 3rd crate (400/large) when required (I keep it secure in the house because it's a "nice" crate that I spent a $100 on) or I'll just toss 1 of the dogs inside the truck (backseat), always event/weather pending.

It's compact on the inside and keeps things neat...the outside is excellent for big loads. I wish I had some more space on the inside though. My next viehicle (sp?) will most likely be some kind of van with removable/foldable seats & thus TONS more space on the inside.

Keep in mind, it's just me! At least for the most part, sometimes I'll have another person with me (i.e. Georgie <-- but if need be he can just drive his car - a 99 Acura ["Honda"] Integra). So it's "perfect" since I only take up the drivers seat -smiles-.

Let's see...I can take 4 dogs in the bed of the truck and about 3 dogs inside the truck. So that totals for 7 dogs that I can travel with <i>in crates. If I leave dogs "loose" inside the truck...I can take 4 dogs comfortably, so that'd be 8 dogs. If I have puppies or small enough dogs in a large enough crate, I could "double" up, lol. I can take an "endless" amount of cats at all one time.

See...when looking for a "dog friendly" viehicle, you look for something that can take the most amount of dogs at one time comfortably. PLUS equipment, lol. I know some people have to worry about extra humans as well.

I would like to invest into an RV of some sort though in the distant future. Right now, my Truck serves all my needs for the humans, the animals and transportation of many other things (i.e. furniture, other large household items/equipment and so forth).

I'm pretty happy with my Tacoma.
  • edited June 2009
    I have a 05 Toyota Corolla diesel hatchback, and so far it has served perfectly on transporting Kuma everywhere. He either goes in the back seat or the boot, which comes in handy when we're going anywhere with my parents and only want to take one car.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    When we go hiking or on long trips, we take Tim's 08 Ford F-150 pickup. It has a huge backseat so we pile things onto the floorboard up to seat level and strap the pups in. They have the entire back seat to nap and play.

For smaller trips (to daycare, on post, or just an hr or so), we take my 08 Audi A4 - typical sedan. Pretty roomy back seat but nothing like the pick-up.

In the [very distant] future, I would like to get a small SUV or crossover to fit both pups and carseats! :) Maybe we'll have more hybrid SUVs by then!
  • edited November -1
    We're in the market for a new dog friendly car... checking out Rav4's, considered briefly the Honda Element, and possibly Subaru Outback Sport.
  • edited November -1
    I have a Honda Passport and Tank loves it! It's super roomy in the back seat so he can walk around or doze away all stretched out sideways in typical Shiba style. The hub has a Scion tC and the backseat feels enclosed to me but it's just fine for Tank except tha he can't really stretch out Shiba style since it's got the tiny bump divider on the seat.
  • edited November -1
    I have the 2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD. It is AWESOME, it can hold a ton of stuff and the best part about it is that when you fold down the back seats the entire back is now PLASTIC! Which means dirty dogs go in and all you need is a few lysol wipes to clean it out! I love it. There is a ton of room, good headroom, legroom and has lots of features including a standard outlet, yup, you can plug things right into it!
  • edited November -1
    Pam - Carseats??? ;-)

I have an 06 Honda Civic that works most of the time for getting the pups where we want to go... However, I am looking at buying a new Toyota Tacoma for our off-roading adventures. My poor little Civic is starting to get a little beat up (mostly from trying to get to distant trail heads for biking and hiking).
  • edited November -1
    Kristin, Pam (hachi's owner) has a Matrix and is trying to talk me into one... I must say it is a useful and beautiful car!
  • edited November -1
    It really is the best "dog" car I have owned. It cleans up well, it's roomy, it is GREAT on gas, and the seats are really comfortable for longer trips.

Now, my favorite car I have owned is my 2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster...not so dog friendly, but fast and fun :) (those days are over)
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Casey - note the "VERY DISTANT future" :D
  • edited November -1
    My friend has an older model Matrix and they are on the top of my list of for cars I want when mine dies. However I'm hoping my car will reach 20 years, only six to go.
  • edited November -1
    I bought my first matrix in 2005, LOVED it, so upgraded to the 2009 AWD because I needed the AWD in New England.
  • edited November -1
    Needed AWD huh? So you are saying you're a bad winter driver?
  • edited November -1
    Looking for a great Animal car... Honda Element, hands down.

never having driven one myself it might be odd that I suggest it. Look at it this way. Fold Down stadium seating, with a big hatch in the back of the SUV.

Big plus is that the inside of the car can be hosed down. pup get's sick? pull the seats(really easy) and hose it out.... seems about as animal friendly as it get's.
  • edited November -1
    Ok, let me restate that... you don't literally "hose" it... however you just take a big soapy rag to it, and rinse it. So, instead of steam cleaning upholstered floors.. you scrub them real quick.
  • edited November -1
    I haven't heard anyone mention the Ford Escape Hybrid. Anybody shop for those? You get the utility of a big car and the mpg of a small car. Not quite sure of its off-roading prowess though.

I think the Rav4 hybrid is still in testing in Japan :(. Oddly enough they have a hybrid minivan over there (previa/sienna)? Wonder why they won't bring it here.

The Toyota Matrix's plastic back and fold-flat passenger seats appealed to me a while ago. Not quite sure how I feel about the redesign though. They made it sporty and it looks less utilitarian.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Brandon,
    Im not terrible in winter driving, not like some of these idiots I see stuck on the roads, but I am still new to driving in snow, so I just wanted to be safe :)
  • edited November -1
    Just remember that AWD can only help you get going, it doesn't help you stop sliding on ice once you have started.
  • edited November -1
    Jesse,
    They did make the Matrix more "sporty" looking, but I find the features and the interior to be the same as the 2005 model.
  • edited November -1
    Since I can't afford new cars ... Toby and I cruise in my 1992 Toyota Camry. LOL.
    My car has about 205,000 miles, I think. Still works just fine. :3 No one else really rides in my car except for Toby and I. My mom doesn't like the fact that my seats are coated with dog hair and mud.
  • edited November -1
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet! Honda just released (or will release very soon) a specific dog-friendly Honda Element!!! I've always been OBSESSED with Elements, but this one put me over the top.

It has a dog ramp stored in the back bumper area which easily slides out, a custom 'safe' dog bed in the back/trunk area, a spill resistant water bowl built in, and custom (and heavy duty) upholstery and floor mats. Plus all of the original awesomeness of an Element. Katsu would be the perfect little princess back there!

I would have one already, but It's not in my budget. I'm currently driving a champagne coloured '95(?) Saturn Station Wagon. It gets Mylo and I to and from... But I'd TOTALLY rather have an Element.

Oh.. p.s. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/automobiles/autoshow/NY-ELEMENT.html
  • edited November -1
    My 2000 Chevy Venture just died with 350,000 miles on it and I'm now looking for a newer car. THe Matrix has long been at the top of my list - smaller, but with enough leg room for me. Glad to hear the good reviews on it.
  • edited November -1
    Errik wants a white van so he could spray paint "free candy" on the side of it lol.

We're currently car shopping since a Nissan 240 is NOT a family car. Once Micah hits 22lbs that car is useless since we can't stick a bigger carseat in it, our powwow gear does not fit (especially if it's a camp out powwow), not to mention no room for animals.
  • edited November -1
    I'll take your 240! I've owned two and I miss them both, come one your dogs don't like drifting? What year do you have?

The Element is cool, but make sure you check it out. It's practical but impractical at the same time. They have all that space, but make you work to get back there. If you could open the suicide doors without opening the front that's be a plus. We sat in one the other day and the blindspots are worse than my old 240sx's. I think when the dog friendly one comes I'll have Dawn swipe a Honda leash and collar from her job, she works at a car dealership.

We'll have to take a closer look at a Matrix. I saw that Pam (Hachi's person) had one at the meetup, but I didn't ask her about it. But right now the Hyundai Elantra Touring tops our list. Lot's of space, not that expensive, great fuel economy, good looks, and a crazy warranty. If only it was AWD. It doesn't snow that much on LI, but having AWD would make me feel like Colin Mcrae.
  • edited November -1
    Lol Errik would never part with his baby. He lets me have my animals, I let him have his car :P It's a 91 I think...(I could never remember)

I want a Toyota Tundra eventually.
  • edited November -1
    I had a 91 and a 93. I miss that car, even though it sat in my driveway more than I got to drive it. The last straw was after I replaced the Radiator, Water pump, and thermostat. I slid it into a curb trying being an idiot and cracked the radiator.