All about Bully Sticks

I gave Katsu a bully stick today. She loved it so much that I'd definitely buy her another one. I was just wondering how often can you give a dog a bully stick? I'm sure there is such a thing as too much dried pizzle.

Comments

• edited November -1
    UFP.

Sorry. Just had to... ;P ~
  • I was actually thinking of posting it on that thread, lol
  • edited November -1
    Koda has one always. He's working on two right now as I type. One end piece and his new one.
  • How many do you give a day. I got her a small one i think it was either 4 or 8 inches. She killed it in about 6 and a half hours.
  • edited November -1
    I get Koda the 12" ones. They usually last a few days, but he goes to it and then gets other things for treats as well like Kongs. The problem is, I have to throw them away when they are around 2" long. He will swallow them whole and it's scary. So, 12" is really 10" of chewing.
  • edited November -1
    Beebe had swallowed the ends on the pieces and would regurgitate them for later-you think the dried bullys are smelly...I didn't give her more than 1 each day because she gobbled them down so fast and would regurgitate later it was too disgusting. Those were the foot longs. I don't know if there is a recomended amount to give.
  • edited November -1
    We're pretty bad I guess as we give one a week, maybe, if we remember.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, all your dogs go through these pretty fast! If we give our two small ones two 6", it takes them like a week to get through it!
  • edited November -1
    Ewww...Pizzle.
  • edited November -1
    We bought two 18" bully sticks for my guys, with Tetsu it could have lasted a few hours or even days (if Tikaani didn't get to it). But with Tikaani, his barely lasted the 20 minute ride home (went from 18" to 6")
  • edited November -1
    Kristin can't handle the Pizzle talk. lolz
  • edited November -1
    I feed my dogs pizzle like I feed my dogs tripe...NEVER! ew ew ew ew ew.
  • edited November -1
    LMAO Koda gets Tripe too.
  • edited November -1
    Jen (Tsukitsune)'s favorite thing is to talk about Tripe to me...excuse me while I go hurl....
  • edited September 2009
    MMMM. Tripe.
    From Food/Recipes
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Jen...I seriously just gagged...never visiting this thread again....
  • edited November -1
    ulll....I can smell it from here...
    :P

I wonder if it smells less frozen in a kong- Tripecicles? or maybe it smells MORE because it isnt eaten quickly...
  • edited November -1
    I've heard grass-fed tripe smells a bit more tolerable. Like a farmhouse. ;)
  • edited November -1
    oh man I love tripe! Maybe i'll get some tonight and feed it to Spuds, see how she likes it.

And EW on the pizzle!!! WTF I just googled it....Joe/Dawn, maybe that's why Katsu's all up on Tetsu..all this pizzle you've been giving her! ;-P
  • edited November -1
    lol! Irene... That was too funny.

I gave Nola and Bella a bully stick for the first time a couple of weeks ago... They LOVED them. And amazingly enough, they did not really smell all that bad. Unless, you know, you stick your nose right up to it. :-P
  • edited November -1
    Irene, when you say you love tripe, do you mean, you do, or your dogs do? I think the white cleaned tripe isn't the same as the green, uncleaned ones for dogs.. (the only kind they should have)... that being said, Yoshiki loves (cleaned) tripe too!
  • Does any one know if it's bad to give your dogs to much pizzle?
  • edited November -1
    I heard from my vet that it takes about 3 days for anything a dog eats to work its way completely out of their system. I think it's swallowing large chunks or an obstruction you need to worry about. If you don't see Katsu straining or having difficulty eliminating in the next few days or so, then you should be fine. This explanation by my vet is why I don't give Ichi a pizzle stick no more frequent than one every few days to make sure his digestive tract is not being obstructed by a rogue UFP.

My $.02

Jesse
  • rogue ufp, lol.

thanks. I guess I'll do every couple days just to be safe.
  • edited November -1
    Koda swallowed a 2" piece when he was only 10 weeks old. I freaked, wow this actually might be a theme with me and him. I called the vet, and he said that he wouldn't worry about bully sticks that they have not caused any cases of obstruction that he knows of. They are 100% digestible. Koda was fine from it.
  • edited November -1
    Crap, I forgot this was the thread with the Tripe picture. What a way to ruin my AM....
  • edited November -1
    LOL. In any case, the digestibility of bully sticks is why many prefer it over raw hide (which does/can cause blockage when swallowed).
  • edited November -1
    Yukidomari, I was thinking the white ones that I eat ;-) Is that bad to feed? Can't be any worse than Rogue UFPs!
  • edited November -1
    Irene, its not bad.. its just that dogs absolutely love the uncleaned, 'gross' 'green' - from undigested food - ones. I don't think cleaned tripe has much of any nutritional value.. but this is for raw feeders only, who may feed tripe as part of a meal. If you're just making it a treat, I don't think it matters one way or the other.
  • edited November -1
    lol Irene. They sell cleaned Tripe on the streets with Pizza in the town that I'm from, Torre del Greco outside of Napoli. I'm sure I have a picture of a vendor somewhere at home. I'll find it. You can buy Tripe all day long and just squeeze a little lemon. Perfect for a snack while shopping in the market.

Kristin I'm sure you will love that pic. lololol.

Cleaned Tripe does not have much nutritional value for dogs. You can get cans of green tripe at any pet store that sells RAW. My cat also gets it.