Loa Passed Her CGC!!!

Loa passed her Canine Good Citizen test on Saturday, this was her first try - and she passed! She did really well, we are very proud of her!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/67822174.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1267401467&Signature=z5QSSdqt0R/BuLzBUnJJ6jsTI2o=
(This is a pic of her, and Ziggy, practicing for the CGC test)

I think this is the first female Shikoku to get her CGC, (tho I may be wrong, Himiko may have her CGC too - Jess???).

The only other CGC Shikoku I know of for sure is Ronan, he got his a few years ago.

Kris - Does Kuma have his CGC too?

----

Comments

• edited November -1
    This maybe a dumb question but what is a Canine Good Citizen test?
  • edited November -1
    Congrats Loa! Now you have no excuse to misbehave. :-)

Brad, where's the diploma pic and pic of Loa in her graduation hat? :-P

@Gen: CGC is a program that AKC runs to certify dogs as having good behavior in the home and in the community (http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm). They test basic manners like jumping up on people, reaction to strangers, walking on a leash, etc. I've never gone through it, so I'm sure someone that has can add more.
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations Loa, jood work Brad/Jen:)

Gen- The CGC is (in a nutshell) a test/title given to dogs to show that they are well behaved in public. Both my boys passed their CGC and it is one more thing to be proud of them for. It can also be used as the start for becoming a therapy dog team.
  • edited November -1
    Gen this is CGC.

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm

Congratulations Brad
  • edited November -1
    Miko isn't CGC'd yet. We are going to test her when we test Ruby.
  • edited November -1
    Sounds pretty cool. Congrats to Loa for being such a good dog. Loa sure has all my dogs beat.
  • edited November -1
    Hey Brad! Congratulations to you, Jen and Loa! Glad she passed it so well :-). I think that the hard part for a shikoku is not getting all wiggly and wanting to greet every person that comes up to them.

And to answer your question, no, Kuma does not have his CGC. I have debated about getting it, but the timing of the tests that were in my area never quite seemed right to fit my schedule. Since Kuma is already competing Novice level at our local matches and doing well, I didn't feel a pressing need yet to get the CGC. Novice level is comprised of off lead healing and recall exercises and a stand of exam without moving any feet, long downs and long sits, so, (in theory) he should be well prepared for all the CGC exercises. However, at some point the CGC will be done, just hopefully at a time that fits my schedule.
  • edited November -1
    nice! congrats!
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! That is an accomplishment. Would Loa make a good therapy dog???

Someday I may try the CGC w/ Sukoshi, but for now I'm just content that she is a good citizen at the dog park and has become a "favorite" visitor at my mother's assisted living facility.
  • edited November -1
    Awesome! Congrats! :) ~
  • edited November -1
    That's great!!!!!! It gives me hope that our NK can actually pass. Koda would fail the second the stranger came in.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks all! :o)

There is a program in Taos where Children read out-loud to dogs, the dogs have to be CGC and/or certified therapy dogs. Now that Loa has her CGC, Jen may try that with her. :o)

You are right Kris, the hard part for Loa was not jumping up on the tester to give him kisses - we worked several weeks on that. LOL

----
  • edited November -1
    That's great! Congrats to Loa, you, and Jen.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I figured that would be the hardest part for Loa given what you have said about her.

It is funny with Kuma that when away from home if he is in "working" mode, he never even thinks about jumping up on someone. But the moment they really make eye contact and talk in a high pitch voice "here doggy", all bets are off about jumping up (especially at home).

Wiggly, licking Shikokus!
  • edited November -1
    Well done Loa (and Brad and Jen)! Who's next?
  • edited November -1
    Congratulations to all three of you on a great job.

Kuma would totally fail that jumping on people test...
  • edited November -1
    Congrats! That is so cool!
  • edited November -1
    We are not sure who will be next, maybe Ahi - just for fun. LOL

We may try Leila too, or Mochi.

There is an ATTS test coming up that we may take Masha & Blue to. Depends on plans and how Jen is feeling.

----
  • edited November -1
    Had never heard of ATTS until now [ just googled it ]

Is it "more difficult" for a dog to get then CGC? ~
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    The ATTS is supposed to test the inherent temperament of the dog, particularly recovery from startling or unfamiliar events. An untrained dog with a sound temperament would theoretically pass the ATTS. The handler is not supposed to correct the dog, talk to the dog, reassure the dog, or otherwise communicate with the dog. The mandatory slip collar is there to prevent escapes, not to correct. The only exception to the no cue rule is stopping the dog from marking the course (cause then it causes the following dogs to stop and mark).

The CGC is more of a reflection of how well-behaved a dog is. It's considered more in the vein of a basic training test. An untrained dog would not pass the CGC because they would not sit politely for brushing, walk nicely alongside the owner, come when called on a line, etc.

Now there are people who train their dogs for the ATTS, which can skew the intepretation of the results. Breeders use it to gauge potential breeding dogs, and so they wouldn't or shouldn't be training/desensitizing their dogs to the course. However, people who own breeds that get on BSL lists might be tempted to improve their chances of passing by practicing.

The judging of the ATTS is supposed based on the breed of the dog, the background of the dog, and somewhat the age of the dog. (ie. A Sch trained rottie SHOULD be reacting overtly to a strange-acting menacing decoy. A whippet would not.)

I've done both for my Jindo and I prefer the ATTS. Just my personal preference.
  • edited March 2010
    Osy - In response to your question regarding difficulty level of the tests, I think it depends on the dog. To me, the ATTS test is a much more realistic test, the CGC test basically expects your dog to be trained to ignore people and other dogs - that is why it was hard for Loa, she loves people and most dogs. The CGC test was really made geared more toward show dogs (IMHO)... while, int he real world, we want our dogs to be social - for example, if the dog shows excitement toward the stranger or the dog during the greetings it is a fail (even friendly excitement).

In the ATTS, they can be excited to meet the stranger, there is no dog greeting, and they are tested for "protectiveness" based on their breed standard (so they would expect Blue to react to the threatening stranger but wouldn't expect a Shikoku to). IMHO, the ATTS test is a much more fair and realistic test for a dog - it is just not as well known. It also can apply to a larger array of breed.

ATTS Test:

----
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks for the explanation Ann & Brad! ~
  • edited November -1
    congrats! And thanks for th ATTS clip--that was interesting!
  • edited November -1
    That is so cool, never heard of the ATTS but now I want to see how my guys do in it:)
  • edited November -1
    a mixed breed dog can take CGC (Reilly has it) but the ATTS would seem to require a breed expectation, so, do they not test mixed breed dogs, since they can't say "Well, I would expect a rottie to at protective vs the threatening stranger, but not a whippet."? Would they penalize a racing dog such as a greyhound or whippet for bolting the gunshot section, where a lab should not?
  • edited November -1
    On the website, it says that they test purebreeds and spayed/neutered mixed breeds (unaltered mixed breeds can test but don't receive the certificate)

http://www.atts.org/index.html
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    For the gunshot portion, they would be looking at how the dog recovers from the gunshots more than what the initial startle reaction would be.

I didn't see this during the day I tested, but I had heard scuttlebutt that a dog that doesn't react at all may fail. I guess this is to screen out those that dope their dogs?

For sure, there are people who grumble about the acceptance range for a particular breed when their dog fails, but I still feel this is a pretty good test for the most part. The only part I could do without was the umbrella part and how I had to talk to the umbrella as I "explored" it. :-p
  • edited November -1
    I wish this type of tests were available in Europe also. Congrats, Brad and Jen! Kisses for sweet Loa
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    I believe the ATTS originated from European temperament tests?

Some kennel clubs voluntarily temperament test their dogs to stave off BSL. Here's an example of a Dutch one:

http://www.dogo-argentinokennel.com/pages/mental_test.htm
  • edited November -1
    Congrats to you guys and Loa!

And very interesting about the ATTS... I had never heard of it before. :)