Japanese Dog Merchandise

13»

Comments

• edited November 2012
    @jellyfart - can you tell me where you saw the superman collar? My husband does really want to get it for Kunai, lol!
    Sorry!! Edit - just found the website!! :o)
  • @lizzysilvertongue it should be the same guy who has made all of the other collars on etsy. there is a link under the brown and gold leather collar :)
  • BUMP!!!
    Can anyone help me- i need to find a show collar for a Japanese Akita puppy- she will be three months old when we start showing. In Australia there is nothing available and i can get hold paracord, 6 or 8 strand leads, kangaroo leather with typical kindness collars, snake chain, martingale etc. I have managed to find someone who does Japanese 'style' show leads- but not with collars. So if anyone can give me any info on what type of collar would be best that would be great thanks! :)
  • edited March 2014
    The traditional collars are a bit expensive, so buying one for a Yochiken (3 - 6 month) or Yoken (6 - 10 month) puppy only to replace it when the dog is an adult can really break the bank. Most likely it will still be too big, allowing the puppy to back out - and they are often none too pleased the first few times! Even a well-fitted Japanese style show collar would probably be a bit "much" and be a distraction rather than a compliment for a puppy that size. I recommend using a show chain or thin cord.

That said, if you are buying for the future, you can get 'the real deal' from the Adachiya store. Shigeru Kato on this forum has helped myself and other members get what they need in the past: http://nihonken.blogspot.com/2013/10/adachiya.html So if you contact him and ask nicely, he may be able to order the collar you want and have it shipped to you.

I can't really help with a 'knock off' that is similar. The closest I know is Oli Collars, but they only make the flat style (no longer used for Akita, it breaks the coat) not the rolled one. Here is a link if you'd like it, but its not really appropriate for show: https://www.etsy.com/shop/OLICOLLARS
  • edited March 2014
    @koyuki ,
    I've contacted this seller before and they make collars: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-JAPANESE-AKITA-INU-SHOW-COLLAR-GOLD-/111179238987 .

Sizes are customized and they are in the UK. The seller is Japanese and they are handcrafted the same way as they are in Japan (see photos). Unfortunately, they don't make leads (which is why I didn't purchase my set from them). But since you are looking for only a collar, this might work for you. Good luck :)

• @PoeticDragon
    Thankyou for the links, i will look into them some more! Silly question, but what thickness chain would you use for a young Akita puppy? I have a snake chain that i bought for one of my Shibas but never used, its quite fine though. Also, i have found a Japanese style lead (thick braided with the tassle), would this be acceptable to use with a chain on a puppy?
    @MapleTwinkie
    Thanks, i will definately look into that :)
    Does anyone have any photos of their leads/collars on their Akitas at various ages? Is there an existing thread that has some pictures like this?
    We pick up our girl late April, she will be around 3 months old then so ready to get straight into the ring, and i need to get my butt into gear getting everything ready!
  • I used an extremely fine chain on Gamera at 8 months at the AKIHO show. I borrowed it from someone else so I don't know the thickness, but it couldn't have been more than 2mm probably more like 1mm.

Chain and collar:

Presentation from the front:
  • I'm in Japan, and my wife works in Tokyo often. I'm not sure how the transaction would work between foreign countries and here, but I'm willing to help people that want Japanese products but can't get through the shipping process or understand the language. I still have the flyer from the collar/lead shop Adachiya from when we went to see their products, so I have the contact info for ordering.
  • @PoeticDraggon
    I think that is around the same thickness of the chain i have. I have to wait around 12 weeks for my lead to be made so in the meantime im either going to have the a different colour of the traditional style lead (purple for a silver brindle), or go for a silver paracord lead.
    Those pictures are awsome, that dog is absolutely amazing! :)

@Rikachan
    Thats a good idea, its nice to know that its may not be completely impossible to obtain products from Japan directly :)
  • I want a proper Tosa collar. ;)
  • or two...
  • I believe Venus, on this forum knows the person in the UK who makes the leeds.