So names, I am taking suggestions for a little girl...

I have been through a lot of names but nothing really jumps out at me, so I am taking ideas. Ones I have come up with though are:

1. Mitsune - this one comes from an anime I watched but the pronounced the name wrong and it sounded like Mitsune and i liked it.
2. Kitsune- while trying to see if Mitsune is actually a name I found this which in the fox demon thing.

I am leaning towards one though, anything cool I might change my mind.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Kitsune is a cute name, but too many people have named their NK that... I ran into that problem when trying to rename ChoCho.

Which Nihon Ken are you getting?

Here's a link Shigeru shared a while ago :)

http://japanesedognames.blogspot.jp
  • So how are you going to pronounce "mitsune"?

Kitsune is pretty, but i agree, it is common.
  • KK... i hadnt noticed anyone on here with kitsune. I was wondering if it was more common on the Shiba side. So scratch that off lol. basically Me-tsu-ne practically the exact same thing just a letter different. I fail at names... god forbid I ever have children and have to name those.

I already went through the blog thing like yesterday, nothing jumped out at me. like *pick me* I tried looking at names but there were all like bright child, some flower or something else child.

I also tried googling random words like dragon, teeth, walrus, bear, and firecracker which is Hanabi.

• I like to mine musical archives for names, or latch onto identifying physical characteristics or personality traits. It's why our Shiba became the "precious tummy" in Chinese. He had quite a puppy gut. ;) Bowpi almost ended up with the name Choko because my partner wanted to name her after her stinky breath. LOL. Luckily I talked him out of that one...

If you don't know what your puppy looks like, then let the name be an omen. What kind of personality do you hope your puppy will have? Maybe something like Shiawase 幸せ (shee-ah-wah-say), meaning "happiness" or "good fortune/luck," abbreviated Shia, would be cute?
  • Oh lord, if I named my dogs based on the personality I hope they have... well, no wonder they're such monsters! Guess I'm doing it wrong.
  • LOL @poeticdragon, or maybe they're bound to be... magical, legendary stars. Yeah! =) I liked your naming theme.
  • edited October 2012
    During the 2 months we were searching for a name for Goro, we never found a name the stood out to us at first. I just know I wanted a named that ended with "Ro" with no more than 3 syllables because I wanted both our families to be able to say it (mine only spoke Spanish, his only spoken English). Since none of the names jumped out to us we had to relay on meaning. We were pretty lucky that Goro meant what it did and that it fit him so perfectly. I guess it's not really about a name jumping up to you, but about you picking one and adding a special significance and meaning to it. :)

It'll come to you. If you like the ending "tsune" or just "ne" there's a couple of names that ended with that.
  • Owner of a 'Kitsune' here. Yes, it's a great name and very appropriate/pretty, etc. but I do sort of regret it. We initially had the idea that she would be 'Kit' for short, but realized too late (duh) that it was too close to 'sit' and didn't want to confuse her, so we went with Kitsu ('kee-sooh') as a nickname. Very hard for people to remember, pronounce, etc. I imagine there would be similar probs with 'Mitsune', too.

I have been trying to get someone to name their pet or baby Sputnik (Nik or Nikki for short), so there you go.
  • edited October 2012
    @Magmagal My friend's dogs are named Sputnik and Cosmo. I think it's adorable, with the actual Sputnik being so round and all lol
  • Yay! Now if I can just get someone to name their kid that I can let it go.
  • Oh ok i saw Kitsu post but i thought it was JUST Kitsu. I don't particularlly mind if anyone can say her name or not. Anyone that matters can learn. I can look for traits I hope she will have that are "mild" I don't want to name a dog something then them act the total opposite... that was my only fear with that any was looking at nouns.

I'm not attached to any particular sounds, just want 2 or 3 syllables. I won't called her mitsu for short because my bf my call her miso soup to irritate me.

might start looking at things like happy or luck though, positive stuff :) maybe some english names i like in japanese like stormy.
  • I like Sayuri... I thought it was way cute, but my husband didn't like it. It means lily.
  • @lizzysilvertongue We call Gojira "Goji" for short... which if you say it enough starts sounding like "goat cheese"... so that's new new nickname.
  • Here's the list of names I like.

Aki
    Amaya
    Emi
    Jun
    Kimi (lol cause it's my sister's name really)
    Mana
    Mari
    Michi
    Rika
    Sora
    Sumi
    Suri (Almost Mika's name)
    Yumi

I tried to leave out dogs on the forum, but I have no clue what all the Shiba's names are)
  • @ Tara -I call Juno "Jun" all the time. But maybe its more of a 'Joooooooooon!"
  • @WrylyBrindle I like Jun a lot. There was one more name that I was considering for Mika but I can't remember it. Then again, it may be that Mika is missing from this list.

My mom chose Mika's name from a list. She was not thrilled about me getting another dog. When she looked at the list and chose a name, I knew she'd be hooked. Now Mika goes everywhere with her when I'm at work. She's even volunteering at a hospice store today with my mom. It's too cute.
  • @tjbart17 @loni lol parents always say no more dogs....until u get another one....then they are totally in love
  • ooohhh i like sayuri... rika is good too. And i liked suri until i noticed tom cruise named his daughter that. Totally would be cool if i used the pickpocket kanji if google was correct on translation
    stormy is arashi.
    1.mitsune
    2.sayuri
    3.rika
    4. suri
    5. arashi

hmm...
  • Sayuri sounds cute!

I like Rika too. Maybe once you get your pup the name will come to you.

I was dead set on Saya for my first NK name.. lol

I sometimes call her Sai for short. :)
  • A shelter dog I wanted to adopt really badly was named Reiko. I thought that was very pretty.
  • I really like Rika and Suri. I would name a petite dog Suri because it's also French for mouse. Rika's cool because it means science or plum blossom (depending on kanji). I would totally name a dog Science, lol.
  • Yeah i probably wont settle until she gets here. Pet Tags are ridiculously expensive at the store, but I could order one cheap with an order i was making online. I have been carrying a stick note around with me and tallying votes. Going to a sushi making class tomorrow (if i remember) might get some good votes there lol.

On a side note i might need to order another pet bed.... Shadi seems to think the puppy's bed is for her.

Photo10311953_1

Photo10311940_1
  • edited October 2012
    One of my cats sleeps on my dog's beds, too.

As for names, I really like Sayuri and Mitsune. :)
  • I really like
    -Sumire
    -Majutsu
    -A'ela
    -Abita
    -Juco

These are the 5 names I am looking at for my next puppy (female japanese akita) Soooo if you use one, you need to let me know, loll

The problem I have with Sumire is that the general american public isn't going to know how to pronounce it correctly, whereas Majutsu is pronounced exactly as it looks, albeit weird to the average person who knows nothing of japanese. Part of me wants a japanese name for a japanese dog to make homage to the pup's origins.

The other part of me says I am american, so A'ela and Abita seem befitting.

And Juco... well, that is just the first two letters of Julia Cooper, my name. Thought it sounded tight.

@hondru I love Science for a name!!! :)
  • I almost named Kimiko "Kazumi" and was planning on calling her Zumi (zoomy) for her nickname, but we decided that Yomi and Zumi sounded too similar and thought the pups might get confused.
  • How about Hana or Hanako (flower or little flower). Arashi to be honest doesn't really sound like a name in Japanese. I still find it a bit strange with Japanese names as most the names I hear are names of people I know. A lot of Japanese people name there dogs with dog names like Kuro for a black dog.
    Momo or Momoko is also nice (peach).
  • edited November 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong... but to me Arashi sounds more like a male name. The "shi" ending is masculine. Takeshi, Takeishi, Musashi...

It's also the name of a boy band in Japan.
  • @lizzysilvertongue Is that Bengal or Ocicat?
  • She is a a bengal definitely PET quality... I talked to my old Japanese teacher today, she was teaching a japanese cooking class today. She said she like Sayuri and there is a famous actress named that. She said Arashi was a perfectly fine name for a dog, male or female, and suggested if my dog is high energy to name her Arashi.

I like that idea^^ So now i need to pick between Sayuri and Mitsune.

I forgot what island she said she was from, but she said it was right next to shikoku.
  • I like Sayuri! :)