top 5 breeds you'd NEVER have

13»

Comments

• edited November -1
    The main hate on cockers would be that they are the primary breed afflicted with rage syndrome (a neurological disorder that "turns" dogs) and that they are one of the top breeds to attack children. As with any breed there are good dogs and not so good. Breed is not everything, but it is something. *says the proud pitbull owner*
  • edited November -1
    My cousin had a cocker spaniel growing up, was a great dog - never any problems, however, that's the only one that I've known (personally) that didn't.
  • edited November -1
    My neighbor who is also and animal rescuer has a cocker who SHE will tell you is devil spawn.

We also have a very sweet one at the shelter right now.
  • edited November -1
    Breed should account for around 60-70% of behavioural traits. But then there's the whole environmental thing, and the individual personality of the dog. I've seen Rotties that were afraid of everything and hyper aggressive ones. But the majority are excellent dogs with nerves of steel and a great sense of "duty".
  • edited November -1
    Rui, did you mean "breed" or "breeding"?

The "breed" is like a beautiful landscape, the "bloodlines" and "breeding quality" is like the camera lens you view the landscape through.

A poorly bred pure blooded dog can show vastly different traits in temperament from a well-bred pure-blooded dog of the same breed.

----
  • edited November -1
    wow, well stated brad!
  • edited November -1
    Yeah Brad, nice metaphor!
  • edited November -1
    Nice metaphor indeed. I actually meant breed, as in the breed traits that are commonly stated as being typical to any breed. Those should account for 60-70%. Of course, through breeding you can change that percentage by selecting closer or further from those typical traits.