Shiba or Nihonken Friendly Cars

13»

Comments

• edited November -1
    I think the 2010 equinox is probably the coolest small suv foreign or domestic. It's nice to see the American car companies striving to put out a competitive product.
  • edited August 2009
    I noticed some of you had said you considered the Honda Element..but ended up not getting it...can you please comment aside from the suicide doors? They apparently have a dog friendly version/concept coming out, and I"m a sucker for anything cutsey doggy.

I'm currently looking for another suv/crossover w/out the bells and whistles..gotta start saving more, the apt and unexpected repairs were a bit much ;-) We currently have the Matrix (husband's love)..and I am looking to replace the Ford Escape (w/ the bells and whistles but a good deal at the time) with something equally high off the ground for when it snows.
    Thnx!
  • edited November -1
    Irene - I am in the market for a 4x4 with decent ground clearance for when I go to some off the beaten path bike trails/hike trails. I looked at the Element, because I LOVE my Civic... But the ground clearance was not much higher (by about a half inch) than my Civic. So no go on the Element. Other than that, it was an awesome vehicle! It looks like it would be a snap to keep clean.
  • edited November -1
    Hi Casey,

Thanks alot, that's enough for me to scrach off the element ;-) My version of off the beaten track is getting over the snow mound Sanitation made plowing the streets (I park on the street)..have to admit the Escape was awesome..no snow mound stopped us and we made our own parking spaces hehehe. Hmm now thinking about it perhaps I'll get another escape, but a basic one while keeping the larger engine...if you end up looking at the Escape and getting it, get the V6 engine, its worth it (and probalby needed as the car is quite heavy).
  • edited November -1
    I'd just double check the Element. We did look at it. It looks cool, is decent on gas, and has a ton of space. The two things I didn't like were the suicide doors, and the rear tailgate. To open the suicide doors you have to open the front doors. Plus a tailgate doesn't make as much sense when there's a roof. We were kind of dissapointed they put all that space in the back and then made it a pain to get to.

Have you guys looked at a Mazda5?
  • edited November -1
    High ground clearance, 4x4, easy to keep clean. What about the Toyota FJ Cruiser or Nissan xTerra?

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    ...and that is why Jesse is awesome. If he's not making rude comments about Jen's anatomy he's coming up with good car suggestions.
  • edited November -1
    lol! I am looking at the xTerra... I want one! But the off road is a little pricey. Not a big fan of the FJ Cruiser's door design. I am also looking at a used Land Rover... LOVE the panorama sun roofs! :-D But it does not have factory skid plates, I would have to add those on, which gets rather expensive.
  • edited November -1
    on a semi related Nissan note. I love the engine in the Titan. Dawn's parents used to have one. When you started it up it was like you were summoning a tourquey demon from the 5th level of Hell...

I'm so happy we live on the flat pancake known as Long Island, so that AWD and 4WD is an unecessary luxury and that we can get away with a little 4 banger.

I would think a used land rover is more exspensive than a new xTerra?
  • edited August 2009
    oh if only i could afford the Range Rover..**droools**

OK back to reality..unfortunatly we live on the only proper hilly section that physical long island has (I say physical as I don't actually live on "LI", just a block away..but geographically, oh never mind ;-).

Anyay, thanks for all of your suggestions, I really like the FJ cruiser for some reason, it just looks like it could take a beating and keep ticking...i'm HORRID parking on a hill (even w/ the escapes backup sensor), rubber bumpers would help heheeh ;-) Xtrerra looks a bit too tall for it's width, which looks (to me) like it would tip over easy.

The ultimate test would be
    a) the crate (needs to fit ) w/o obstructing views
    b) ground clearance
    c) low month payments :)
    d) 4X4 b/c that's all I've driven in the past 9 years, with the Prius in the middle, with which I got stuck everyday in the snow, hence the quick sell to get the Escape and my love for 4 x 4's.

My criteria might be easier said than done ;-)
  • edited November -1
    Hmmm. Check out some Hyundais. Maybe a Tuscon or Santa Fe. The new Tucson supposedly comes out later this year, and if it looks like the concept it should be pretty cool.
  • edited November -1
    Hey Irene,
    Let me not forget the big daddy of off-roading. Jeeps! It'd qualify for all your criteria, but true cost of ownership (TOC) is something you'd have to look into. The Wrangler (Rubicon) is something I loved because my dad had an old Jeep as a kid. Nothing beats standing up and holding on to the rollbars with the wind in your hair while we went 30km/hr.

Wrangler Unlimited

Just throwing other options out there to keep it interesting.

Jesse
  • edited November -1
    Wow, nice suggestion Jesse! I never knew it came in 4 door, hence the reason I never looked at the wrangler (funny i was just looking at my neighbor's rubicon with the 4.0L engine this morning and thought god that's huge for a little car..

I was just on the website, you're right, looks like it's got all my boxes ticked...might have to go to the dealer with the crate and check it out!

My husband will LOOVE you for this suggestion..he's always wanted one and I keep saying no b/c it's too expensive for a 2 door (apparently the rubicon is the high end option) ..kinda excited now..
  • edited November -1
    Jeeps are awesome.
  • edited November -1
    Honestly, I love my x-terra. I drive it like i stole it sometimes, and no tipping :o). I have a very basic model, but it's been good to me. It does well on the snow, but my '89 Camaro did better on ice... (which we get too much of here in Kansas).

My friends who have driven the FJ Cruiser have all complained about the blind spots, though I agree it looks like fun.

My aunt and uncle love their 4-door wrangler. Both the Wrangler and the X-Terra tend to be narrower, which actually can be helpful on some trails.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.
  • edited November -1
    I have a Honda Element and it is great. Fairly inexpensive, AWD, and 30 mpg on highway. Like others have said there can be tons of room because seats go up, but for you OCD/dog loving car people, there is very little fabric. Floor and dash is all rubber....I can clean the whole car from a month of spring shedding to spick and span in 45 minutes.
  • edited November -1
    The xTerra vs Land Rover... The used Land Rovers are actually not badly priced... now it is not a Range Rover Sport, I am looking at the LR2. A used one with about 25,000 miles is about the same price as a new xTerra SE. Although, if I were going to get a new xTerra, I would get the off road edition.

It will be a few months, though, before I can realistically buy a new vehicle. So I have lots of time to look for the best option for me and the pups!
  • edited November -1
    Shoot, I'd get the LRover..how old is it?
  • edited November -1
    Ki has traveled a lot in a Toyota Matrix. Besides being surprisingly roomy, the back seats (and even the front passenger seat, too!) fold down flat and have that plastic truck liner type stuff so it's easy to clean. There are even built in places so you can use tie downs on your crate to prevent sliding/tipping.

~Rainy
  • edited November -1
    My husband has the matrix, I'll look into the tie downs--we might be taking the matrix up for the meetup..doubt it though, i get carsick w/my husband's driving of the matrix (he gets stick shift happy). I'm also a bit stupid, I looked at my bill and I thought my lease was up early next year, it's not up for another 11 months. I keep going back to looking at the element though...maybe by next year they really will have the dog friendly version..ohh ahh..
  • edited September 2009
    Heres what I haul my beasties in...

The body is a 89 Landcruiser BJ74. The drive train is from a newer LC. Its a straight 6 turbo diesel. The previous owner put all the 4x4 goodies you could want (locking diffs, winch, lift, etc). I added a roof top tent (folds out to almost queen size bed) and a split level in the cargo area. The dogs hangout on top, the camping gear hangs out on the bottom. We've been on several long driving trips in it and will probably be hauling to Tokyo in it in winter (12 hour drive). As to why I need such a beast...I go to a lot of far off deep places here in JP. I've been close to stuck before, don't need to try and get help in a foreign land...ordering a cheeseburger and getting right can be tough enough.

When I get back to the states, I'm going to look at buying another VW bus. Of all the cars I look back on...only 2 really hold a special place. My old 68 VW Bus and my 89 BMW 535is. The VW is the original Eco-car and parts are available all over the world. I'd like to get a camping one for a dog hauler and general camping vehicle. So if you guys ever see one like this for sale, let me know.

• edited November -1
    So.......
    I drove a 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD. I also am paying nearly $300 more a period than Jay in car insurance. He drives a 2007 Subaru Forester. I also am driving to Boston every day again (50+miles each way). I think I want to trade it in.

Am I crazy?

I think I want an Impreza.

My criteria is
    decent mileage
    Standard transmission (I will NOT drive automatic)
    AWD
    Good resale
    Inexpensive (let's face it the economy sucks)
    Easy to fix

I own the Volvo. Not making payments.

Am I crazy (with regards to vehicular thinking, I know the answer otherwise)
  • edited November -1
    DO it!

although you can't beat the volvo being paid off. unless you MAKE money selling it and buying the impreza - which cant cost as much as your nice volvo. can it?