shikokus in shelter (in japan) March 22nd

1235»

Comments

• edited March 2009
    Am really hoping to get these Shikas out of there soon, its great that Shigeru made that suggestion, it wld be great if it works out.
    But 1st of all, we need the hear from Gen. (i think hes been real busy or outta town, haven seen him on here for awhile).Need to know if he already got the approval for them to leave the prefecture, and whats the update on that...
    Then we can proceed to start planning...
  • edited November -1
    BUMP for gmh1975!
  • edited November -1
    I've been thinking more about this, and I would be willing and able to foster at least 1, hopefully to offer a permanent placement if everything worked out with my current dogs. Seattle is a pretty short flight from Japan, so that could reduce costs any way. I'm getting anxious to get an update.
  • edited November -1
    I would really love to see an organized course of action. Right now this is a gathering of very good intentions. But the reality is unless someone contacts the shelter directly, organizes the rescue, and wants to pay for their transport, nothing is happening.

While my opinion is merely opinion and worth no more than any others, I think these dogs should stay in Japan. Unless someone can guarantee them a lifetime home, and care. Which has yet to happen. Just a lot of maybes and perhaps.
  • edited November -1
    My wife contacted the kennel. Apparently the Osaka resident issue has not been worked out yet. Here is the reply from ARK:

"Dear Jill Hoover

Thank you for your inquiry.

First of all I apologize that I have to inform you something very disappointing for you.

The two dogs were originally taken from Osaka Prefectural kennel (Osaka-fu Inu-kanri- shidojo )in Morinomiya, Osaka. And that kennel office does not permit ARK to give the dog to somebody outside Osaka Prefecture. It is not something like law and it is such a local unreasonable rule. However, if we break the rule, Osaka prefectural kennel may stop any sort of cooperation with ARK. Because of this we are obliged to follow the rule.

I hear a couple of people are working for changing this unreasonable rule, but we have not heard that any breakthrough was made so far.

Secondly, the dogs probably can not live with cats. We can't recommend people to keep them with cats. In addition, the two do not get along well with each other. That is why we keep the two in separate kennels.

I really feel guilty that what I am telling you are all negative, but please understand I have to.
    Please do not hesitate to ask us more if necessary. We are sorry we can not give you positive response.

Yours truly,
    Sakae Kishida
    ARK OFFICE"

We have a Japanese friend who has relatives in Osaka. My wife is going to see how difficult adopting for us would be.
  • edited April 2009
    The question is, are they not recommending the cats because they don't know how the dogs specifically are with cats, assuming skikokus will not be good with cats or are they really not good with cats?
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the additional info.

Good luck, Greg! I truly hope this works out for you, or maybe someone you may know in Osaka! There are so many beautiful dogs at ARK!
  • edited November -1
    Well, this has been a great turn of events!
  • edited November -1
    Ok I'm back what did I miss??
  • edited November -1
    Welcome back :D

I honestly don't know what's going on lol.
  • edited November -1
    My wife and I are willing to adopt one of the dogs. We think they are both beautiful and don't care which one. We still need help getting them out of Osaka. Apparently our friends relatives moved so right now we can't adopt either one through them. We live in Kanagawa and have our own car so transportation isn't an issue, just getting ARK to let us adopt one. Shishiinu - Can you help get one of them out of the shelter?
    Greg and Jill
  • edited April 2009
    Yup, the only thing that's holding us back from driving there this weekend is the paperwork issue. So if someone has gotten the permission needed please email it to me jmt6358@yahoo.com, and please email it to ARK. I don't want one of them to have to sit there for another week! :(
    -Jill
  • edited April 2009
    Hi Gen,

welcome back!
    yeah ARK is waiting on the approval for the dogs to leave. I spoke to Mr Kishida and he wants to know if you have already got the green light for them to go. If so, he needs a written permission, the contact person and the department in charge of this. Without that, he cant/wont let the dogs leave.
    Thanks Gen. Hope to hear from ya soon! and hopefully get this going soon
  • edited November -1
    Greg and Jill- That is sooo awesome if you can get one of the pups!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November -1
    Gen (shishiinu) was working on the paperwork aspect. Where did you get with that, Gen?

That is awesome Greg and Jill!!!! Oh i hope this works out for you!
  • edited November -1
    Excellent!
  • edited November -1
    I will call my dad this weekend to check on the progress of getting the written permission for the dogs to be taken out of Osaka.
  • edited November -1
    Thank you for all the support and well wishes!! :))
    Thanks Gen, I really appreciate your help.
    I'm meeting with Ling today to talk about the Shika's some more. I get to see her Shiba babies again and I'm soooo excited! :)
  • edited November -1
    Ok got a little bad news......Some one in Osaka prefec. government decided to c@#k block (sorry I'm a bit angry) and block the approval paperwork to transfer the dogs to Kanagwa prefec. My dad had signed paper work being ready to be sent to ARK and the Osaka prefec. government council office when some one took it upon them selves to deny the approved documents.

Its a bunch of bull s@#$!!

Sorry guys but my dad and I have exhausted every window of opportunity. Only way is for me to goto Japan and use a relative in Osaka to get the dogs but cant do it till this August.
  • edited November -1
    Wow, they really don't want to give these dogs a home
  • edited November -1
    Well, that really blows.
  • edited November -1
    That is effin ridiculous. Can the rescue keep them for that long? Thanks for all your effort.
  • edited November -1
    Oh my word... bureaucracy bites.
  • edited April 2009
    That sucks. I like how they added the little disclaimer to their listings now.

"adoptable only inside osaka prefecture"

...unless it was there before and I just didn't notice.
  • edited November -1
    Good old Japanese bureaucracy at its best.
  • edited November -1
    That's very disappointing news. I don't get it, they are just DOGS! For crying out loud! I don't understand why this is such a big deal. *sigh*
    I really wanted to save one of them, but I think maybe we're not the right home for them. Things happen for a reason. Honestly, I was very nervous about bringing them home and having something terrible happen. The woman at ARK did warn me that they had seen cats on their walks, the full-bred Shikoku showed aggression, the mix shika showed a lot of excitement that could have been aggression. They were willing to have them introduced to cats in the shelter under their supervision to test them, I thought that was very thoughtful. I would be more comfortable getting a puppy, just in case, and after spending 2 hours with Ling's shiba's the other day my heart is set on the Shiba again! I hate to give up on these 2 shika's...I just don't see it happening for us. I don't know what else to do, Gen's father seemed to be the best bet, I don't see them changing the law for 2 foreigners. :( It's driving me crazy knowing that they are just sitting there every day with no home just because of some ignorant little rule.
  • edited November -1
    Craig works with a Japanese woman who is going back home to visit in 2 weeks and we were seriously considering trying to have her bring back "Wistful" the Shikoku mix. Well, we went to check the ARK site and it looks like she has been rehomed! Sad news for us, but great news for her!!!

We would love to have "Wishful" but unfortunately it says she should be an only dog. :/
  • edited November -1
    Yay for Wistful!