MadShiba Picnic 2009 (Madison, WI)

Comments

• edited July 2009
    - bump -

We are definitely coming, Brandon - I will email you RSVP's

My wonderful husband decided to take the days off regardless and we are all coming. We'll be making a pit stop on Friday which cuts our drive in half, then probably will get to the meetup just about when it starts (noon? 1pm?).

So, 2 adults and their 2 shibas.

Are the forum people planning to do anything the night of the meetup? If not, I need a restaurant/take out suggestion in Madison. Thanks!
  • edited November -1
    I have been trying to think of something for us all to do as group, well those who want to attend anyhow. I'm not sure what everyone is into.

Brad, Jen, and Dave all like beer quite a bit. There is a local brewery/bar that I really like. Comfortable atmosphere, outdoor patio area, not super loud crazy music of anything, and generally it slows down a good bit after happy hour because it's not downtown. They have a basic food menu of like 9 different pizzas and create your own sub sandwich. All made with really good ingredients. Also it's within a couple of miles of the hotels.

If people aren't into that, maybe we could all meet for dinner somewhere, and then if some people want to try some beers out those people could go with me to the Ale Asylum.
  • edited November -1
    We also like beer. And pizza.
  • edited November -1
    mmmmm... Beer and Pizza, now I'm really stoked! :o)

That sounds great Brandon, thanx!

PS: Jen sent a check to you this week.

----
  • edited November -1
    Just because I don't drink, it doesn't mean that I won't enjoy the place. I'm looking forward to hanging out with everyone!

Did you get the check that I sent?
  • edited July 2009
    LJ - I did get your check. Thanks.

Also, I'm excited that people are liking the Ale Asylum idea. They donated to the picnic. They donated a T-shirt, a growler, and one free filling for the growler with any of their beers.

http://www.aleasylum.com

I'd say Madison and the rest of the Wisconsin have as many good micro-brew places as anywhere in the country. If any of you are interested I'll go along with you to a local grocery store that has a huge selection if you want to drive home with some good beers.
  • edited November -1
    Brandon, Brad and others: Steve and I are planning to come along with Josephine, barring any unforeseen events in our life. Haven't made firm plans for lodging but since I'm off today will likely have time to look at booking into the LaQuinta --- Josephine spent her first night with us at a LaQuinta, so I know they allow the pups in the rooms...

See you then, and I will get a check off in the mail to you today, Brandon. And we love beer and pizza -or a burger --- our favorite evening meal! Sound like Ale Asylum might be it! Is that a Friday night plan, or Saturday night?
  • edited November -1
    This plan is for Saturday night after the picnic.

We could try to work something out for people who will be in town on Friday night too, if people are interested. Or I can give out recommendations for places to eat if people want to explore Madison a bit on their own.
  • edited November -1
    That does sound like fun, but our issue is that we can't leave the dog unattended at the campsite. But, Tom might be more inclined to sleep in with the pups so he has energy for the drive back, so I might be able to tag along without him.
  • edited November -1
    If you and Tom would both like to come out, you could park your dogs (in crates) in the spare bedroom at my apartment for the evening. If you don't think it would freak the dogs out too much, and if they don't howl/bark constantly. Something to think about.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    What's that saying... "The man is the head of the house but the woman is the neck. And the neck can turn the head any way she chooses"? :)

We're coming to the picnic for sure! We still haven't found out where we're moving but one thing I have decided is that our move will just have to wait until AFTER the MadShiba picnic. I'll send our check today, Brandon!

I'll try to reserve our rooms at the LaQuinta along with everyone else. However, I did find an extended stay place that is a little cheaper so we might go that route....
  • edited November -1
    Pam that Extended Stay is a 30 minute drive from the picnic and where everyone else will be. I would not recommend it, if you are looking for cheaper I believe the RedRoof Inn and the MicroTel Inn on the EastSide would be cheaper than the La Quinta.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Cool. Thanks Brandon! I was thinking we might need a little more room than a standard hotel room (just in case the picnic ends up falling DURING our move LOL) but now I think it would just be easier to stay at the La Quinta where everyone else is.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Oh, this is the place I was referring to... Not Extended Stay like previously thought.... Grandstay?

Grandstay Residential Suites
    5317 High Crossing Boulevard
    Madison, WI, US 53718
  • edited July 2009
    So you might be driving around in a rental truck or what?

Oh, that is on the right side of town. That place is cheaper than La Quinta?
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Haha. Who knows. We're going to send everything we can with the movers but the dogs will take up all the space in my car and everything else will have to go in the cab of Tim's truck. We'll have to bring everything stored in the truck bed into our room... Joy.
  • RyuRyu
    edited July 2009
    I haven't called LaQuinta to get a rate by phone but on BringFido.com, Grandstay is about $30 cheaper a night.

It's the strangest thing. When I went to Chicago to pick up Roxy, I stayed at an extended stay place for only $55 a night. You'd think they'd be MORE expensive because of the kitchen.

I'll have to call though because sometimes these places have a minimum stay requirement.
  • edited November -1
    Interesting. Always looked much more expensive to me. You will be driving both cars? Jeez. So are you going to be on your way to driving to your new home? Wisconsin will just be a pit stop?
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    In an ideal situation, we'll just take one car up to Wisconsin and then come back to MO for a week or two (to pack up the house and out-process) and THEN go on to the new place. But if we have to sign in at the new location just a few days after the picnic, we'll go straight from WI and drive both cars. It would be worth it though!!
  • edited November -1
    I'm thinking Gordon needs a serious talking to - "early next week" has come and long gone!!
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    tell me about it! To make matters worse, the other families who met with him 2 weeks ago have already found out their new locations! It's just US now!
  • edited November -1
    Pam, I guess their saving the best for last
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Just booked our room! We're staying at the La Quinta as well. :)

Just in case anyone was curious about the Grandstay place: The room itself was cheaper BUT you had to pay a $50/week pet fee and they only allow one pet per room.

With the military discount, the La Quinta ended up being a better deal overall. AND we get to be in the same building as Jen, John, Tsuki, Kitsune and the Anderson pack! Wooohooo!
  • edited November -1
    Awesome! We're staying at a La Quinta in Cleveland too, the day before on the way to MadShiba. Its all over the pet friendly travel sites, I assume its a nice place!

I sent my check to you Brandon - did you get it?
  • edited November -1
    No check yet Jen. I'm sure it will be here soon.

That's a lot of people at the La Quinta.
  • edited November -1
    Steve, Josephine and I are staying at LaQuinta, too. We will be staying Friday and Saturday evening. I am taking Friday off work, so I expect we will arrive sometime around check-in (most likely 3 or so)... What night is beer and pizza?

Thanks,
  • edited November -1
    Beer and pizza is planned for Saturday night.

If people want to get together on Friday night too, we could probably get something together (for those who there on Friday night). Or I can recommend a bunch of different local place for people depending on what type of food you might be interested in and what you want to pay.
  • edited July 2009
    Awesome! I'm getting super excited... We will have a La Quinta party (Bev, Pam, Dave, Jen, a surprise person, and us [and associated pups and families] will all be there)!

Jen and I are there Friday - Sunday night. Our "surprise" person leaves Sunday day. We are up for beer and pizza for sure on Sat. night, but Friday it will depend on what time we get in (it may be late).

We will have Ahi, Loa, Kona and Lani with us.

We are stoked!

----
  • edited November -1
    I get so sad reading this thread because I REALLY WANT TO GO! Damn wrist surgeries and no more days off and 20 hour drives to WI....**sigh**
  • edited November -1
    So Brad, you were able to find boarding for Blue?

Ooo, can't wait, it'll be so nice to get away from everything for a weekend