Raising a shikoku pup

Comments

• edited November -1
    Welcome. Your boys are just stunning. Love all the outdoor pictures. Their eyes are captivating.
  • edited November -1
    Handsome boys, I love all your pics. Especially the one with Reno shaking off all the water onto Rico!

Shikus may be a bit on the smaller size, the females more so, but I bet you still can do sledding with them -smiles-. My Shikoku boy is 41 lbs. My Shikoku female has grown a lot since the last I weighed her. I'd imagine she weighs between 32-35 lbs.

Don't underestimate the pulling rate of a Shikoku! The only thing I'd sugguest is that you put up a team of dogs with similar weights and for yours and the other dogs sake...don't put a Shikoku in the lead! lol. Though they normally have pretty good judgement, they don't always make the best decisions.
  • edited July 2009
    "Our neighbours own a Belgium Malinois, female, she loves to play with both our huskies, mostly with Reno since he had a crush on her."

=(^-^)= Cool, aren't the Belgians great? "Just wondering with the dog management, if the pup would be upset if he/she was put in a bench while the big brothers are walking around freely.Wondering how much noise we would have to stand."

As puppies, Shikoku (at least my two) aren't very fun to crate train, by far my boy was the absolute worst! My female was a bit easier. Perhaps in a much larger area...i.e. a kennel run or separate room, they might do better and be content watching, with maybe some puppy noise. I don't think it'd be anything intolerable...but really, this will just depend on your individual puppy. Sometimes they don't seem to care and other times they want to be out running around with the other dogs.

"Can you ever walk a shukoku free from the leash? Ours couldn't before but now it's no problem at all."

I'd only allow a Shikoku to go off leash in a safe, secure and enclosed area. I've been working on recall with my 2 Shikoku, but it's really only a 50% recall rate. I'm pretty certain that they will eventually come back to me. However...should they decide not to return immediately...how am I suppose to catch an off leash Shikoku that might very well be 30+ or maybe even 100+ feet away? What if they're in danger and they get hurt before I can reach them and prevent it?

Your best friend will be a long line with a Shikoku. This way s/he has more "roam" and yet is still within your control. It's an excellent prevenative.

Anything is possible, I'm sure perhaps eventually you might be able to get a much better recall on a Shikoku. However, they were bred to work from a distance with their handlers (owners/"masters"/hunters). So you want to make sure that your dog will stay safe and out of danger and that you will be able to get your Shikoku back easily.
  • edited November -1
    Welcome!
  • edited November -1
    Hello Corina,

thx for the advise, I have "unwispered" the pics so other people can see them too. They're to nice to hide :-)
    I'm not really planning to put them in a team, since Reno and Rico also don't do that anymore, just in their very young years. But there are also options to have a running team where the musher is not on top of it but running behind it, together with the dogs, where they are pulling some small cart. That's real fun, since both have to stretch them selves, although the dogs can't go to fast, we cannot keep up with them.

The Belgiums can be great, although I have also met nasty ones, they can be a bit nervous, sometimes.

Well, about the dog management issue, we just have to see. Probably the bigs guys don't mind sleeping in the kennel, but they love to sleep instead of running around all day. Reno will probably do, but then, he can't get up in the morning after, being to stiff. So we might have to protect him against his enthousiasm.

Reno and Rico only run of leash in groups of dogs, where it was fun to stay around the pack. We tried otherwise, oeps.... have been searching for a long time, so will never do again. But nowadays, there is no problem, they hang around, specially in unknown areas. Reno is actually a very good track seeker. Once he has been somewhere, like during a hike in the forest, he always finds the way back to the car (even if we don't). He missed his job as the leader dog of a husky team, for sure. He is finding the track while Rico is running in the forest, discovering new stuff as if he was still a puppy.

It will be an idea to attach the shikoku to Reno with a tin leash. If I call Reno and "xxx", Reno will return and so the shikoku as well, since Reno is the stronger one. So in this way the puppy will pick up the associations much faster. Well, I'm thinking it will be like this, not for sure it will work. Any experience? Anyone ever tried this?
  • edited November -1
    I have seen people with dogs on a coupler (most fun was watching an adolescent chow trying to go opposite the noble Shepherd he was attached to!) , off leash but leashed together, while on hikes. I imagine it helps the human but I'd hate to think of the dogs trying to go uphill or on rocky terrain together like that, but I guess huskies would be used to that if they were in a team, not sure on the Shikoku... my shibas are all over the place outside!
  • edited November -1
    Hello Tsukitsune,
    Their harnesses are old, like around eleven years. I have to ask back again where they come from, but for sure they are made in the Netherlands.
    The couplers, I will just give it a try and see. But all depends when we will get a shukoku and if Reno is still in the mood to do so. Rico is strong enough but less strickt in coming back, unless on unknown terrain.
  • edited November -1
    Oh, I've joined this conversation a little bit late. I did want to say hello though and comment that your dogs are absolutely beautiful. I love the Netherlands. Most of my extended family is from there, and my brother plays for the Netherlands national lacrosse team =0). Welcome to the forum!
  • edited November -1
    Hi and welcome Reno&Rico! Love your siberians, they look really great.
    I do have 3 siberians and a shikoku at home, so I can add my experience so far....
    All my siberians are boys (intact) and so is the shikoku. The siberians are now 4, 3 and 1 year old and shikoku is 6 months, so there is not big age differences. I can add I do not have any females...this is probably the key to our quite peaceful life so far :) All of them live together free in the garden and come into the house while I'm home if they like to. I do have a separate doggy yard, but I use it only when for some reason I need the dogs to stay away from terrace or something. I have not had major problems between the boys, of course there has been some growling etc., but just to show off. The oldest of the siberians is the leader of the pack and non of the youngsters have really tried to become the boss. When the shikoku pup came into the house at 2,5 months of age, he joined the siberians right away. And yes they are tough guys :) he could deal with 3 big siberians. I'm not sure the real puberty has started already for the shikoku, but they did have a fight with my youngest siberian the other day. It probably started from one of them getting a bit hurt while playing. I am keeping an eye on them to see if it was one time thing or I'm starting to get troubles in my pack....hopefully not. I must add that my siberians are not very friendly with stranger males, only the ones they know from puppyhood or have been introduced while the other was a puppy.
    What concerns the off leash walking.....well to reserve my nerves I never do that anymore :) For my first siberian I could walk him off leash until he was about 1,5 years, but after some longer searches for him I do not do it anymore. And if I let 2 of my dogs together off the leash...its a disaster.
    So I think it is possible to keep a shikoku pup with your boys, just as said before, shikoku pup can be very rough player and likes to play a lot. As my siberians are still young, its no problem and they play almost all days long. So you probably would have to give your older boys a rest from time to time.
  • edited November -1
    Hello Mylo, thx, funny btw, never heart about lacrosse, but nice to see. I had to google to know what it is.
  • edited November -1
    hahaha it's an interesting sport. It's actually the national sport of Canada (not hockey like most people think). The Netherlands got the silver metal at the Euro championships in Finland last year.
  • edited November 2009
    Hello Stina,
    that's a nice message, good to hear you have a pretty much similar pack. A whole bunch younger though. Ours ran off many times as well. But now, it's perfect. So hopefully they can pass this on to the future young one. Well, lets wait and see.
    I think huskies and Shukoku's are pretty much similar in many ways. Your youngest Siberian is also only one year, still between pup and puberty, trying out. He was last in the pack, now there is a new puppie, so he wants to move up in ranking. Mine had some very serious fights as well. Rarely with other dogs, but some very serious ones with each other. And still there is no winner… pffff, cost me some money for the vet. But that's part of the deal, I guess. I think yours may run into some trouble as well in the future with only males. But at least you have some age differences, mine are both the same age. Rico always wins, I still don't get it why Reno never gave up the fights. Well, he survived so far. Hope it gets better in the future.
    Can't wait to have a shukoku, but will do it at the right time!
  • edited November -1
    Yes Nico, having a pack of males is always a risk and every time I'm adding a new one to my pack, I keep my fingers crossed. So far so good...seems Kekko has learned his lesson for now. With the play is that if two plays together is fine, but usually third one joins and then they start harassing the youngest siberian together (shikoku and 3 year old siberian). The oldest siberian never plays, he has to keep his dignity as a boss :)) I have noticed that if the youngest gets enough of the two picking on him, he starts growling and Kekko gets the message now. Before the fight he would just growl back, now he leaves him alone. Having 2 males in between puppy and puberty is not easy, I just hope they can settle the positions themselves without me having to separate them and without some of them getting really hurt.
    Are you planning to get your shikoku from the Holland breeder? Mine did come from Holland, so very easy and close to you :)
  • edited November -1
    Hello Stina,
    I checked out the breeders website in Holland and contacted them by mail, but still waiting for a response. It seems they are doing a good job, since I see their name all over. They just live 45 minutes away from us, so that can't be easier at all.

I am not sure the growling between mine is because they are brothers and always want to defend their share of the house. One seems to control the food, the other one more who can lay where. But I think they can handle a puppie, since they are big and still fit and strong. Rico looks like a good daddy for him/her, since we haven't decides for male or female yet. But once the shikokyu is there, we might wait for an other dog until Reno or Rico pass away, hopefully not for the coming many years. It's just so difficult. We want them to stay for ever, which will not happen. If they get to old, they probably don't want to play at all. But right now, our house is better for 2 than for 3 dogs, although we have space outside as well. But since R&R reached the senior age now, we allow them to be wherever they want to be. You can't treat 11 year olds like puppies, unless they behave like puppies.
  • edited November -1
    Hello Jesica

one of the other pages shows some great pics (snow dogs) with them in front of a sledge, maybe it can be done, at least they seems to be resistant to the cold ;-)
  • edited August 2009
    Well, my ears must have been burning. I saw that I was mentioned in the thread earlier on and I have been on vacation since the thread started. My Kuma is intact and he does get along with other dogs.

He is the same as Corina's male as he plays best with dogs his size or smaller. His play style is rough and quite similar to how my siberians played. He is a bit intimidated with larger dogs and then sometimes gets snappy. I owned Siberians exclusive before my Shikoku (25+ years) and they do play very similarly. I do not let him off lead outside a fenced area UNLESS we are working obedience. When he is in his training/obedience pattern mode, he concentrates very well. But if he thinks he is in the "walk" mode, all bets are off and I would have about the same recall rate as Corina. I am too old to be chasing down loose dogs. Gosh knows my Siberians gave me lots of grey hair!

One major difference is that Shikoku generally hate water (ie, think how much a cat likes water and that is a shikoku). My Siberians (and yours it seems) LOVED water.

Also, Shikoku are very cold tolerant, but I found that Kuma likes to be outside only for a little bit when it is really bitter out whereas my Siberians would prefer to stay out. But then some of this happens also in the summer, so some of it is because Kuma is so loyal that he prefers to stay with me (and I am not out in the cold). But when I am dressed up for cold weather he is happy to be outside.
  • edited November -1
    My shikoku does not hate water, if fact it seems he is more into swimming than my siberians. He does not like when I give him a bath thou, but we live very close to the sea and on the walks by the sea Kekko always goes into the water gladly.
  • edited November -1
    My shikoku is pretty convinced she is made of sugar. She trembles at the sight of water. I have never known a dog to hate water more.
  • edited November -1
    Who, that makes quite some differences, water wise, it will be a matter of luck probably. My Siberian, I had before, also hated water. Reno swims everywhere, but Rico swims only where he can kind of still touch ground. Not a very brave guy. Reno goes even out in the sea with kind of serious waves. Than Rico yels and barks to get him back and to warn him for all the danger to come :-) But so does he if we go for a swimm. Coldwise, they both adapt very soon to temperature changes. It's amazing to see how fast their undercoat picks up in volume, just after a few days of cold and snow. But… also the other way around :-( which makes a big mess in the house. Nice to see the differences and similarities between the two breeds.
    Meanwhile I got in touch with the Breeders in Holland, so maybe very soon we will be seeing and touching the first shikoku's in our life :-)
  • edited November -1
    Hello Edgewood,
    it seems you live on a farm with all these animals? Reno/Rico and cats? not really… Anyway, maybe my hair also got gray because of the times they ran away and chased other animals. Lcuky enough they had their chip in the neck, so Reno had to be returned onces. I was mad on him to be running away, but after he didn't return I felt so guilty about it. And was like the happiest child after getting a phone call they found him and scanned his chip for my address. pffff.... Today they are very obedient, but days have been different, I tell you. Anyway, still so happy with them, we just got back from Barcelona, and even the heat doesn't seems to bather them to much.
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    "Don't underestimate the pulling rate of a Shikoku! The only thing I'd sugguest is that you put up a team of dogs with similar weights and for yours and the other dogs sake...don't put a Shikoku in the lead! lol."

I agree that a Shikoku should be able to be pull, especially in one of those web harnesses. The greater question might be whether they want to. :-)

Scootering or skiing with one or two Shikoku should be possible. I know 30-40 lb Korean Jindos that are on mushing teams where they are pulling sleds or ATVs. The teams are mixed with Malamute, Sibe, and Akita so it can still work with different sizes. The bigger dogs tend to be best as wheel dogs though, being placed closest to the sled or ATV.

You do need a good brake just in case a rabbit crosses the path of the team. :-)
  • edited November -1
    Reno&Rico, yes I do live on a farm. That is why I know that Kuma has such a strong hunting drive! Groundhogs beware! He lives with 5 house cats and about 5 barn cats, but had to be taught not to bug the cats.

I agree that the water liking might be an individual thing. At most I had 3 Siberians at 1 time, two loved to swim, the 3rd like to wade a lot but never went beyond where his feet could touch the ground. One of the swimmers was a better retriever than labradors or Goldens and would retrieve a tennis ball for as many times as you wanted to throw it out in deep water.

As far as pulling in harness, I think that Shikoku could be trained to do it, but they do have more of a hunting drive and thus might want to veer off course to go track a scent whereas a Siberian in harness is just happy to pull, pull, pull!

PS My Kuma is from the Dutch Shikoku lines and was actually born in Holland and reimported back to the States. (His mom was bred here and shipped to Holland pregnant). But both the sire and dam were originally from Holland.
  • edited November -1
    Hello Ayk,
    I'm not really planning on make them pull a sledge, actually, Reno is still kind of wearing me out pulling all the time on the leash, Rico is much smarter that way and therefor still very fit. No joint problems where Reno is kind of getting a bit more of a senior. Still retrievers balls, but not as wildly as he used to. Rico was always watching him thinking: "are you a husky or a Jack Russel?". Anyway, both did run a few times in a team, they both loved it, Reno having the better build for that. But I hope a shikoku can be trained to walk next to me instead of always on the end of the leash. The rabbit story may apply for the shikoku, but these two are as bad. Anyting besides people and other dogs seems to be possible prey. They could never walk in the front of a team, being the lead dogs. But more in the back they can only follow the pack.

Are those your dogs in the pic? The one in the back is a malamute right? I thought about those too, but right now, I may try an akita, if I would be in the mood for an other big dog. Right now is not the time, first have to move to a farm, like Edgewoon :-)
  • edited November -1
    Hello Edgewood,
    the breeder in Holland seems to be very famous since I read about them all the time. How did you got involved with them?
  • aykayk
    edited November -1
    The dogs in the harnesses are my friend's dogs. The one in the back is a Malamute.
  • edited November -1
    Hello Ann,
    Okay, that's what I thought. But what dogs do you have? or are you, like us, looking for a nihon ken and trying to learn about it here?
  • aykayk
    edited August 2009
    I have two female Jindos that are sisters. (Not the easiest combo, btw.) They'll be 13 years old this month. Unless my housing changes, I probably won't add another dog until one of them passes. My first breed will probably always be a Jindo, but the Nihon Kens are attractive in that the politics and the preservation of the Nihon Kens are not nearly so messed up.
  • edited November -1
    Our shikoku seem to be ok with water. Ahi even seem to like being out in the rain.
  • edited November -1
    Hello Ann,
    The jindo's look very nice too. Mine are two brothers... pfff, talking about a problem combo? But I can understand two sisters may also be a challange, once in a while.
  • edited November -1
    About the pulling issue, its been a while I could enjoy walking a dog.... I mean all of my huskies pull like hell. Sledding and scootering with them is much fun, but walking ....huhhh, not too easy. Now if I go walking with Kekko, its like a real WALK. He does not pull on the leash all the time and I really enjoy that :) well he does not walk beside me either and sometimes pulls a little, but this is nothing compared to huskies. I have not tried to put him together with the huskies in the harness yet and its too soon, but I don't think Kekko would make a good sled dog :)) hehe. Probably he would run with the others, but not pull.